Thread: defender doors not closing

defender doors not closing

2002 defender 110 commercial - doors will not close properly - if i slam or close normally the door bounces off hinge - if i push v v gently on outside they will hold - it is much much worse in the cold weather

i have to lock the door on the inside otherwise the door will open while driving

mechanic has pushed receiver out as far as it goes

any suggestions advice appreciated
    thanks dinger

Ok, this might be difficult to follow, but here it is. If you look at the door seal that is on the hinge side, you'll notice 2 very small holes in the seal. Inside the seal is a firm piece of foam/rubber. This needs to be removed. What I do is take the door seal off on the hinge side, and fish up a piece of *modified* mechanics wire and pull the foam/rubber out through the bottom. Be careful as to not snag the seal when pulling out, the seal does tear easily. WD40 is your friend on this job.

Now, replace the door seal and check the door striker again. Moving the striker "out" is generally NOT what is needed and can cause the door to *bounce* . Move the striker further in towards the seat and see what happens.

Also, just moving the striker in those directions is not always whats needed, make sure that the shims behind the striker are aligning the pin correctly.

Good Luck

thanks !

whatroad thanks very much for your suggestion i will try it shortly and let you know sounds like it may just work !
    thanks dinger