Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Disco 2 - no heat!

2000 Disco 2 - no heat!

Can anyone help me?
    I can't seem to get heat out of my Disco 2. I have plenty of fluid and a new thermostat (which seems to function properly), but I get no coolant out of the block going to my heater core - even while running!
    BTW - temp guage runs right in the middle while driving (car drives fine).

Is there some sort of control valve or something that may not be functioning??? my only guess at this point...

mr. d

Do you hear a gurgling noise from behind the dashboard? It sounds like not enough coolant or it needs to be "burped" (air in the system).
    Last edited by gowest; 12-20-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    DII - Armor front and sides. Lot's of gadgets and leaks.

yes. there is a trickle sound and I've done just about everything to bleed the system from air....held the overflow tank up...ran the truck with the cap off...let it cool with the cap off...what else is there?

I was going to suggest all of those...You could try parking at an incline with front end up, fill tank when cold (usually overnight) and see if any coolant has found it's way into the system. It's, likely an air bubble issue but you have done a lot to address it. Let's see if there are other suggestions....

I'll give it a try. Again, the funny thing is though that even while the engine is running, I don't get enough coolant flow or pressure for it to come out of the hose going into the heater core...I would have thought that it would just spit out while running???

Thanks.

If you don't fix it this evening, send me your number and I'll call you tomorrow.
    Also I wouldn't be driving it in that condition or you may be in the market for some head gaskets when you over heat it.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    If you don't fix it this evening, send me your number and I'll call you tomorrow.
    Also I wouldn't be driving it in that condition or you may be in the market for some head gaskets when you over heat it.
    Mike,

And don't forget to tell us the outcome.

This sounds rather like my running D2. Thought I'd got all the air out (driven over 200 miles and temp is (/was) fine (gauge and OBD2 reader), but then tonight it started getting the gurgling, then bumps (sounded like a mouse behind the dash) and up shot the temp. I stopped, cussed, let it cool some, vented through the top hose bleed screw, depressurized and topped up (almost none needed). Drove home (30 miles) with everything looking normal again (including some hill climbs and other areas making the motor work hard for a living).

No loss of water, no steam, no water in oil, no oil in water. I decided it must be an intermittent sticking thermostat (have two on order). Could it be a water pump with the impeller spinning on the shaft? Have one of those on order too.

Regards,

Graeme
    San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic
    Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop Mud Rovers, various home fabricated protection

1999 Discovery 2
    Now wearing 265/75-16 BFG All Terrain T/A KO KM2

2000 Discovery 2, non-sunroof model, with hole in the side of the engine block ....

1993 Jaguar XJS convertible
    1971 Triumph GT6
    1959 Morris Minor convertible
    other assorted British pot metal ...

First, if you over heat, and you are not loosing coolant, never shut the engine off, this will cause the internal temp to go even higher when not running. Turn your heater too high and let the engine idle down to normal. Also never vent of pressure, this also lowers the engine boiling temp and can do more damage.
    My money is on a blown head gasket.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    First, if you over heat, and you are not loosing coolant, never shut the engine off, this will cause the internal temp to go even higher when not running. Turn your heater too high and let the engine idle down to normal. Also never vent of pressure, this also lowers the engine boiling temp and can do more damage.
    My money is on a blown head gasket.
    Mike,

Good advice, but since I suspect a stuck stat I had to ignore my own intuition (and your advice). I bought this vehicle with a "blown head gasket" but still don't believe it has one. I can't think what failure mode across the gasket would cause the symptoms that I have. The fact that I can go hundreds of miles in mixed driving conditions with no issue whatsoever, then all of a sudden I get this (total of three times now, so I catch it very fast) is puzzling me. One time was idling on the driveway, with the first 30 minutes at perfectly stable temperatures then, all of a sudden up it shot. Twice since, but with no logical 'trigger'.

Next time I'm going to be armed with the infra-red thermometer to see what the hose temperatures are.

I also have my suspicions about the viscous fan, as it was fairly free after I stopped yesterday, but then that can happen when the silicon oil drains down.

Regards,

Graeme
    San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic
    Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop Mud Rovers, various home fabricated protection

1999 Discovery 2
    Now wearing 265/75-16 BFG All Terrain T/A KO KM2

2000 Discovery 2, non-sunroof model, with hole in the side of the engine block ....

1993 Jaguar XJS convertible
    1971 Triumph GT6
    1959 Morris Minor convertible
    other assorted British pot metal ...

I was thinking stuck T-stat, but OP states it's new...double failure??