Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air Suspension Craziness

Yeah, it's strange to get back used to it.

If I get bored this weekend, I will try putting the modded rods back on and see what happens.

Hey, Doc:

Nice to see you figured it out. Sorry I've been as little quiet but out on vacation with limited internet access. I went thorugh the same bit more or less with mine playing around with the height calibration as well. Found my issue to be the same as yours. Like I said, just glad you pinned it!

Luis

07 LR3 SE / 06 LR3 HSE

Unfortunately the original sensors seem to have quite a range for calibration. For instance I had one that at normal calibrated height it was at +32 which as you know from having a faultmate you only have about 18 more increments in that direction before you hit +50.

In my case if I sortened the rods to raise it and hit full compression on a bump I would get an out range fault. Adjusting via the faultmate for more height would not give me that fault. From what I understand the newer sensors are better so you should not have any isues with shortened rods although I don't see why you would use them if you have a faultmate.

Just subtract about 30 increments or so from your base calibration numbers on each sensor to get a 1.5 inch lift.
    Last edited by trynian; 12-24-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trynian View Post
    Unfortunately the original sensors seem to have quite a range for calibration. For instance I had one that at normal calibrated height it was at +32 which as you know from having a faultmate you only have about 18 more increments in that direction before you hit +50.

In my case if I sortened the rods to raise it and hit full compression on a bump I would get an out range fault. Adjusting via the faultmate for more height would not give me that fault. From what I understand the newer sensors are better so you should not have any isues with shortened rods although I don't see why you would use them if you have a faultmate.

Just subtract about 30 increments or so from your base calibration numbers on each sensor to get a 1.5 inch lift.
    That's why some have had thier systems recalibrated so the computer thinks the new lifted height is normal. Evidentally some dealers are cool enough to do that.
    2006 LR3 SE7 Heavy-Duty Pkg & 285/60 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    2003 Discovery II SE w/RTE 2" & 265/75 BFG KM (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
    That's why some have had thier systems recalibrated so the computer thinks the new lifted height is normal. Evidentally some dealers are cool enough to do that.
    I am not sure I understand you or if you understand calibration. One sensor could be +32 while another can be -10 in the same calibration to achieve the 19inch center hub to arch normal range. By using shortened rods you are essentially telling the car that that you are at normal while you are not.

Are you saying some put on shorter rods to raise it and then have it recalibrated back to normal? You dont set the computer to think it is at normal. Your sensors are just calibrated somewhere between -50 to +50 to acheive the height objective and all four of them will be at a different number because no 2 sensors are the same.
    Last edited by trynian; 12-24-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trynian View Post
    I am not sure I understand you or if you understand calibration. One sensor could be +32 while another can be -10 in the same calibration to achieve the 19inch center hub to arch normal range. By using shortened rods you are essentially telling the car that that you are at normal while you are not.

Are you saying some put on shorter rods to raise it and then have it recalibrated back to normal? You dont set the computer to think it is at normal. Your sensors are just calibrated somewhere between -50 to +50 to acheive the height objective and all four of them will be at a different number because no 2 sensors are the same.
    Here's a past conversation about what I'm trying, possibly incorrectly, to relay: http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=16656&page=2
    2006 LR3 SE7 Heavy-Duty Pkg & 285/60 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    2003 Discovery II SE w/RTE 2" & 265/75 BFG KM (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
    Here's a past conversation about what I'm trying, possibly incorrectly, to relay: http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=16656&page=2
    I know the trhread and read it again, to be sure what his technical response was trying to say.

In simple terms the sensors are calibrated or set to be at a certain spot for normal height. When you shorten the rod lengths all it does is move the sensor arm to register as lower if still at that same height, but since it was already set to be in one location as normal it raises the suspension to return the sensor back to that location, causing the lift.

There is no setting to set that sensor point as the zere point or as you called it normal or anything like that. It is still set at the same setting. If it is set it to be, say +10 it always returns to the +10 spot for normal height. The height is measured on the distance from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flair. You can set that to anything you like within the perameters that the sensor will allow.

The range that the sensor will allow is -50 to +50 but 0 on each sensor does not cause the same result. A typical calibration on all 4 sensors to acheive the same height setting on all four corners might look like -7, +10, 0, +32. Yet all 4 corners are 19 inches from the center of the hub to the flair.
    Last edited by trynian; 12-25-2010 at 12:10 AM.