Thread: California "50 State" Catalytic converters

California "50 State" Catalytic converters

For those who may need a catalytic converter, here is a link to the application guide on the California Air Resources board webpage.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-182-47.pdf

Land Rover applications are on page 32. This is for Walker Brand catalytic converters only, they were the only company making California legal cats for Land Rovers that I could find.

I was able to buy just the left side cat for my '96 disco for about $150, seems like most places want to sell you the entire Y pipe and two cats for $500.

You need to print the first three pages of the PDF and bring it with you for your smog check
    Last edited by etischer; 12-21-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added note about needing first 3 pages

Good post Eric. Thanks.
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

Thanks for the post. I don't need them "yet" but give it time.
    Mark D

2005 LR3
    2000 Discovery II OME 2" lift

Wish i had known Thanks in advance. 10 years from now when I need it I'll know where to look.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

SORRY TO DIG UP AN OLD POST, BUTTT>...>.

I may need to get a set of these this month; got the part numbers CARB for Land Rover Discoveries of series 1, via Magnaflow, Catco, and Walker..

Walker seems to have the best prices (at 120.00 or so each), and for those who are lazy, here's the CA CARB catalog:
    http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/ecatalog_CARB.asp

Engine Family # WLRXT04.6001; Legal for use in the state of California. Left Universal 81712 1
    Engine Family # WLRXT04.6001; Legal for use in the state of California. Right Universal 81916 1

I just might buy a set, along with o2 sensors, in the near future to get rid of my p0158 CEL...

Same as with the cats, o2 sensors by Walker seem to run the cheapest, for a plug and play option... Part Number: W0133-1919255 which corresponds to NGK's NTK 25017 (w/o Advance Evaporative Loss AEL trucks)
    Last edited by evoasis; 12-07-2011 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added o2 sensors PN

You may save the money on new cats if I read this correctly. Your code is not an indicator of failing converters. Also you can test your O2 Sensors
    to be sure about their performance.
    Potential causes of an P0158 code include:

Bad o2 sensor (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
    Wiring in contact with exhaust components
    Engine running rich (If other codes are present)
    Holes in exhaust causing PCM to over-rich engine resulting in an abnormally high Bank 2, sensor 2 reading
    Short to voltage on signal circuit
    Bad PCM

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Trust me ill swap sensors first, check wiring etc, clean everything, then go from there.. But, worst case scenario I now have a list typed up for my year truck... All these different engines and laws it's easy to mix part numbers!

Swapped o2 sensors out to no avail... Gonna track the wires and see if I see any tears etc.. Bleh electronic gremlins suck

Well I jumped the white wire to no avail, the driver's side was reading @ .1v or something way low, while the pass side was at 12v.. needless to say, it got rid of that code but then it said both front ones were too high voltage. Soooo, I'll undo the jumper, live with the code for now in the post cat o2 sensor.

I think it may be a bad pcm, but a bad pcm only cause one code?? Truck runs great otherwise. If it ain't the pcm I'm outta ideas, and will need to smog it soon..