Thread: Oil pump for transfer case and diffs

Oil pump for transfer case and diffs

All,

I've always used on of the cheap can-top pumps to fill my diffs and transfer case (and gearbox on the D2) but due to a bad case of acute lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) I am finding it harder and harder to pump the thing, not to mention being in pain for days afterwards.
    Does anyone know where I can get a small electric pump that would do the job without the manual effort? 12V or 120V would be fine.

Thanks,

Graeme
    San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic
    Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop Mud Rovers, various home fabricated protection

1999 Discovery 2
    Now wearing 265/75-16 BFG All Terrain T/A KO KM2

2000 Discovery 2, non-sunroof model, with hole in the side of the engine block ....

1993 Jaguar XJS convertible
    1971 Triumph GT6
    1959 Morris Minor convertible
    other assorted British pot metal ...

I use a pesticide sprayer vary easy and only 8 bucks at home depot or lowes.
    04 Disco II Trail Rig
    99 Disco II- driveway art
    68 Baja perunner
    (NCLR053)(SCLR903)
    http://www.pacificadventuretours.com

Quote Originally Posted by lutz View Post
    Man, I'm so .... why didn't I think of that? Great idea, and cheaper than any electric pump. Thanks.

Regards,

Graeme
    San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic
    Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop Mud Rovers, various home fabricated protection

1999 Discovery 2

2000 Discovery 2, non-sunroof model, with hole in the side of the engine block ....

1971 Triumph GT6

Quote Originally Posted by lutz View Post
    I owe you a beer ... maybe a case of beer ....

Went to Home Depot. Bought the $8 and change 1 gallon sprayer (was going to buy two, but though I'd check it first). Removed the nozzle and connector (leaving the solid fiberglass-looking end pipe). Filled it with gear oil, gave half a dozen pumps and was all set.

Drained the rear diff, poked the sprayer in the hole and clicked the lever to the 'on' position. Filling is slow, but totally effortless! I sat and watched the level slowly creep down. I should have gone for coffee. I pumped a few times half way (but from outside the vehicle in total comfort) and was done in about 20 minutes. I think I'll replace the solid tube with a flexible one with a larger bore, but that is 'fine tuning'.

I can't believe that I struggled for so long. I actually like changing the diff oil now.

The best tool I have and under $10. Nearly as much fun as my air powered grease gun (and I though $20 at HF for that was good).

Thanks again.

Regards,

Graeme
    San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic

1999 Discovery 2

1971 Triumph GT6

You might also want to check out the deck sprayers. Same basic design but they are designed to spray a heavier liquid(deck stain vs. pesticide). They are a bit more money though($20-ish) but will accomplish the oil refresh in a bit less time.