Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My custom LED interior lighting. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldwater View Post
    You know what, Im not really sure what they call them, Daytime running lights or City Lights. I call them Daytime Running lights. You can activate them when you turn your light control to the first click. The second click is obviously your headlights.

Just a little side note I just discovered a few weeks ago. When you are locking your Disco with the remote. If you continue to hold the lock button for about 20sec the headlights will turn on for about 1min then shut off.
    Cool, got it figured out. Its just the parking lamps.
    Have you had any issues with heat so far? I got my LED's for the city lights and they say on the package to NOT put them in headlamp housings due to the heat given off. Just wondering if you've had any problems.
    I also got the 6 LED festoon bulb for the interior light. Nice and bright. I've got a 3 LED on order for the rear light, although I may put that in front and the 6 LED in back. We'll see. I'll post up some pics when its done.

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    Cool, got it figured out. Its just the parking lamps.
    Have you had any issues with heat so far? I got my LED's for the city lights and they say on the package to NOT put them in headlamp housings due to the heat given off. Just wondering if you've had any problems.
    I also got the 6 LED festoon bulb for the interior light. Nice and bright. I've got a 3 LED on order for the rear light, although I may put that in front and the 6 LED in back. We'll see. I'll post up some pics when its done.

COOL! I would put the 6 in the back... Trust me you dont want someone to turn on the front light at night while your driving. That is why I installed the Red LEDs.

About the heat. No, none. I have even installed HID's, replacing my incandescent H4 bulbs. The HID produces more heat. I have had the HID's in for about a month now with no issues with my parking lamps.

I also bought some LED's for my brake lights... They are very Dim. They are the 1156 Single Contact BA15 LED Automotive Bulbs with 19 LED's. They are not good because they do not reflect well. I just ordered on Monday the BA15 High Power SMD LED Automotive Bulbs with 45 LED's. I cant wait! It was a ton of money and I only bought two, but I cant wait to see them... I also bought a strobe module that I am going to try for my brake lights. I should be getting them in the mail tomorrow.
    2000 Disco II SE7.

UPGRADES!!!
    Added HIDs! 35watt 4500K! <--NICE!
    Did some nice interior LEDs Link to Thread
    Installed CB Radio... talkin to truckers...
    Installed 3" Terrafirma Lift Kit from Justin at Lucky8! Nice!
    Tires... 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs!!!! AWESOME TIRE!!! I RECOMMEND Treadwright!!!

Cool. Let us know how the 45 LED units work out... I have had a few lights burn out on me recently, and have been thinking of doing LEDs all the way around.

Might take some experimenting to find the right ones for the LR3.

Got my LEDs today... NICE!! They are great. Very bright and they have a clean and sharp red color. The thing I like most about them is that they will last years! They are worth the extra penny.
    2000 Disco II SE7.

UPGRADES!!!
    Tires... 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs!!!! AWESOME TIRE!!! I RECOMMEND Treadwright!!!

Have you had any issues regarding the reduced draw of LED's? I have heard that adding LED stop lamps and turn signals runs the risk of tricking the truck into thinking a bulb is burnt out, thereby giving you the dreaded "fast blinker". Any issues with this?

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    Have you had any issues regarding the reduced draw of LED's? I have heard that adding LED stop lamps and turn signals runs the risk of tricking the truck into thinking a bulb is burnt out, thereby giving you the dreaded "fast blinker". Any issues with this?
    If it is a problem there are "load resistors" for $4 or $5. Also on a DII you could just get into the BCU and disable the "bulb failure warning".

Quote Originally Posted by Disco6x6 View Post
    If it is a problem there are "load resistors" for $4 or $5. Also on a DII you could just get into the BCU and disable the "bulb failure warning".
    I was just curious if it actually happened. I have an aftermarket rear bumper which means I'm missing some lights and got the fast blinker as a result. I followed the write up on DWEB and installed a Tridon EP-26 LED relay to replace the stock one. No more fast blink for me and I'm good to go if I do decide to go with LED's in my stop/turn lamps.

A little update for your questions... I am having a voltage problem... Here it is. When I have my blinkers on, left or right and hazards my 3rd brake light blinks also but with very low wattage, it is very dim... However, I have not changed my blinkers they are incandescent bulbs still. I think I need a relay for my brake lights, they are LED's.

I know what your talking about with the fast blinkers... My brother upgraded his bulbs in his Saab with LEDs and his blinker is fast, as if a bulb is burnt out. That is why I have not upgraded my blinkers yet...

Discos do not have bulb out indicators, do they?
    Last edited by Coldwater; 01-02-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    2000 Disco II SE7.

UPGRADES!!!

Here is a pic of one of my 45 SMD LED bulbs...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1230001554a.jpg  
    Last edited by Coldwater; 01-02-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    2000 Disco II SE7.

UPGRADES!!!

Hmmmm, that's odd about your third brake light.
    I wonder about the effectiveness of that style of bulb in a tail light application. A majority of the LEDs point towards the side while only 9 face rearward. Perhaps this style of LED would actually work better? The 3 x 1.3W one.
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...X1W.htm#photos
    I know a 1 Watt LED is extremely bright when the proper optic is used to harness it. Perhaps its just a matter of harnessing the 36 side facing LEDs and directing their light rearward, like a headlight enclosure would do. Maybe applying a reflective coating inside the housing of the tail light?

About the Strobe you bought? Is this so the brake lights would flash 2-3 times quickly, then burn solid every time the brakes are applied. Some of the work vehicles I drive have those and they really do grab your attention. Might get annoying to the guy behind you on the trail tough.

Thanks for being the guinnea pig, BTW.
    Last edited by fishEH; 01-02-2011 at 08:07 PM.