Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Group Buy Rules?

I agree Mike, ethics is a very subjective term in a global economy. Even in the American economy it has become very subjective due to the influx of other cultures in our society. There are companies that will not allow people of a certain culture to own one of their franchises. Is it legal? No. But it is the right business decision b/c it has been their experience 100% that that specific culture does not know how to provide customer service to American people and be financially successful. From the legal perspective, that can be construed as bad ethics. From a business perspective, that can be construed as successful risk management in their business model.

A business can be ethical but, ultimately (and perhaps unfortunately???), in the new economy ethics now lies with the customer. A customer makes the choice of which business gets their money based upon a matching value system.
    1994 RRC LWB
    My projects: www.mmacrue.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @mmacrue

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmd View Post
    A business can be ethical but, ultimately (and perhaps unfortunately???), in the new economy ethics now lies with the customer. A customer makes the choice of which business gets their money based upon a matching value system.
    I don't want to sound xenophobic, but the complexity of world economics and the unwritten customs of some cultures is partly why I primarily deal domestic. I just don't have a great understanding of the world market and so I do not generally dabble. Now that the melting pot of the U.S. has brought in such a diversity of business models, ideas and ethics, understanding the manner of business in the U.S. has become a potpourri of both foreign, domestic, and this hybrid of "American business."
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

[QUOTE=astateofmike;160934]You have to be careful throwing the business ethics card out there.... becuase with a global economy, defining "business ethics" becomes unclear. In a previous post you said the "customer is ALWAYS right" but I disagreed with a particular reason. So are my ethics off or yours? Or Neither. When making a purchase of significance, and I call over $100 significant as an example, I look at EVERY purchase as a contract and include all sorts of terms to make sure that both seller and buyer have a clear understanding of what is to occur.

Defined by WiseGeek..."Business ethics is the behavior that a business adheres to in its daily dealings with the world. The ethics of a particular business can be diverse. They apply not only to how the business interacts with the world at large, but also to their one-on-one dealings with a single customer.

Many businesses have gained a bad reputation just by being in business. To some people, businesses are interested in making money, and that is the bottom line. It could be called capitalism in its purest form. Making money is not wrong in itself. It is the manner in which some businesses conduct themselves that brings up the question of ethical behavior."

Simple me...I thought good business was offering a quality product at an affordable price; and when a customer pays for that product, the business delivers that same quality product within a reasonable time frame. Maybe I just need to be more careful with whom I do business.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinK View Post
    I thought good business was offering a quality product at an affordable price; and when a customer pays for that product, the business delivers that same quality product within a reasonable time frame. Maybe I just need to be more careful with whom I do business.
    In it's most basic form, yes, you are correct. However, nothing is that simple (although we wish it were!). You have to throw in upbringing, education (not level of education but specifically what one was/is taught), personal experiences, professional experiences, opinions, cultural norms, cultural biases, age, gender, race/ethnicity, geographical region, morals, and sometimes even the weather. In the final analysis, there are too many variables to consider to even begin to develop a standard definition. The quote you provided is a prime example of someone's final thought process based upon all my aforementioned variables.

Best case scenario is only do business with those that are like minded. Problem solved.
    1994 RRC LWB
    My projects: www.mmacrue.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @mmacrue

the problem is Darrin, that the reverse is true. For every business that you should "be careful" about doing business with, there is a business that will see you as a customer they should "be careful" about doing business with. I have made recommendations numerous times to refund monies or cancel orders in my daily business because my expereince has taught me the warning signs of a unsatisfiable customer and I make an early decision to cut my losses and not do business.

A perfect example was when I repaired rotary generators. Rules were no pressure washing as these were not NEMA4x sealed (or sealed really at all)....I repaired a dozen for a customer who went back, installed, got dirty and then clearely pressure washed them (as when I got them back, they had water in them) and claimed that I needed to warranty repair them as I did a bad job. Water, dripping out on photos next to the sticker on the unit that says "do not hose down"...... I charged for the return shipment, denied the warranty and let the customer know they needed to find a new vendor. Customer was not too happy, but I had less problems with that result than keeping that business.

So, lay out all your expecatations honestly and see how many people still want to do business with you. With me, not many as I (as mentioned) have a long list of things I want/expect/need to be "happy" with a business dealing. So I don't lay it all out and deal with the consequences. Sucks sometimes, but then again, so does business.

To your point though, 1. Quality product is subjective. Who decides "quality"? You? Subjective. 2. When paid for? They you need to only buy premade cookie cutter items. NEVER have something built, you will be disappointed with any timeline becuase timelines always get moved around. 3. Reasonable price? That too is subjective. I pay a lot more for items I want NOW. And if you get it to me within 24 hours, I'll pay double if needed to meet my timeline. I think that is reasonable. Others don't. So, you may like the price, but don't expect that price and service mean the same thing. and 4. Time Frame. depends on the product again. Anything I have built, for any reason, the timeline gets blown. Things premade, much more just in time delivery. And I notice that carriers (who think they are the only game in town) are getting sloppier as competition gets tighter...

I suggest an experiment. Next time you order something, provide the seller the specifics of what you are wanting ahead of time and see if they still are excited to do business. IF so, tell us if they meet those expectations...and if they do all of that, tell us what business they are so I can shop there too!

Who will give me the odds on this one?

Who will give me the odds on this one?
    Odds on what, exactly?

That this current GB will go smoothly!

That this current GB will go smoothly!
    What current group buy? Excuse me, which group buy?

Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    What current group buy? Excuse me, which group buy?
    I believe he's referring to the Black Friday sale.