Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Group Buy Rules?

Group Buy Rules?

I was wondering all year long why "Group Buy's" weren't ONLY done through Pay Pal. I think I know why. Because then the Fabricator would have to Guarantee their product and Delivery time; If the Customer was not happy or satisfied, a Full Refund would be given by the Fabricator or by Pay Pal. Since it is common knowledge that "The customer is always right." we should always insist on using Pay Pal. What do you think?
    Last edited by DarrinK; 09-18-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Spelling

Darrin,

I think you are right. When purchasing something, Paypal offers consumer protections in some instances. I have had an instance from England that Paypal did not honor, but that was an isolated incident. I try and use Paypal whenever I can as it provide me protection above the protection offered by my credit card.

Maybe an easier way to handle this is to no longer have group buys? Just a discount worked out for LRRForums members available to all members who choose to buy. No quantities or conditions, just a vendor, say ARB, will sell a tire repair kit for $40 to all LRRF members (totally ficticious, no kit for sale folks). Then each customer can work with the vendor and handle the transaction in the best way for them.

"The customer is always right" motto attributed to Harry Gordon Selfridge is a business mentality that accepts that without the customer, there is no business. In business school, one of the greatest lectures I attended discussed that the customer is not always right becuase is allows an abusive customer to take advantage of the business. Sometimes the best business is to not do the business. Really an eye opening lecture.

What are some other thoughts?
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

IMHO, a group buy is set up by a company/business, not the forum. As customers, we cannot dictate how a company does business, although if enough customers complain about something, a good company will change the way they do business.

To request that all group buys are now done through PayPal would eliminate several other opportunities afforded to forum members by companies who do not use PayPal.

Mike is correct. The customer is not always right. There are too many stupid people in the world nowadays. If a customer is not happy or satisfied but the product is delivered as advertised, shame on the customer for not doing their due diligence. A company should not be held liable simply because a customer changed their mind after purchase.

Unless a product is mass produced by computerized machinery, each piece should be considered a custom piece. Funny thing about Land Rovers, each one is different. I have had OEM parts not fit right.

So, in the final analysis, no, I do not think PayPal is the only way to go with custom pieces. Maybe with mass produced items.
    1994 RRC LWB
    My projects: www.mmacrue.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @mmacrue

How do I get the $40 repair kit from ARB I want one! Can I buy it with Paypal?

I'm Kidding
    macho
    Just call me Jerry

04 Discovery pretty much stock except for rack.Want a lift, better tires,winch bumper and maybe some under armor.WHITE GOLD ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by machoman View Post
    How do I get the $40 repair kit from ARB I want one! Can I buy it with Paypal?
    I'll have one too, and I don't even know what is in the kit.

Graeme
    San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic
    Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop Mud Rovers, various home fabricated protection

1999 Discovery 2
    Now wearing 265/75-16 BFG All Terrain T/A KO KM2

2000 Discovery 2, non-sunroof model, with hole in the side of the engine block ....

1993 Jaguar XJS convertible
    1971 Triumph GT6
    1959 Morris Minor convertible
    other assorted British pot metal ...

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeBear View Post
    I'll have one too, and I don't even know what is in the kit.

Graeme
    Actually, the joke is on us because ...

ARB Speedy Seal Tire Repair Kit (10000010)
    Coming in a compact carry case, the speedy seal includes all the components necessary to repair tubeless radial or cross ply tires, without removing the tire from the vehicle or rim. This includes a quality pencil type tire gauge with dual pressure range and dual chuck, insertion and reamer tools, lubricant, additional valve accessories and 30 self vulcanizing repair cords for complete air sealing. Spare repair cords are also available in packs of 50 from ARB, so before you head out on your next 4x4 trip, make sure you've got all the necessary equipment for making emergency repairs.
    Case measures - 2.5" x 13.5" x 7.75"

And it only costs $35

Looks like Mike will be making a roaring profit here ....

Oooops!

Regards,

Graeme
    San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic
    Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop Mud Rovers, various home fabricated protection

1999 Discovery 2
    Now wearing 265/75-16 BFG All Terrain T/A KO KM2

2000 Discovery 2, non-sunroof model, with hole in the side of the engine block ....

1993 Jaguar XJS convertible
    1971 Triumph GT6
    1959 Morris Minor convertible
    other assorted British pot metal ...

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeBear View Post
    Actually, the joke is on us because ...

ARB Speedy Seal Tire Repair Kit (10000010)
    Coming in a compact carry case, the speedy seal includes all the components necessary to repair tubeless radial or cross ply tires, without removing the tire from the vehicle or rim. This includes a quality pencil type tire gauge with dual pressure range and dual chuck, insertion and reamer tools, lubricant, additional valve accessories and 30 self vulcanizing repair cords for complete air sealing. Spare repair cords are also available in packs of 50 from ARB, so before you head out on your next 4x4 trip, make sure you've got all the necessary equipment for making emergency repairs.
    Case measures - 2.5" x 13.5" x 7.75"

And it only costs $35

Looks like Mike will be making a roaring profit here ....

Oooops!

Regards,

Graeme
    Dang it. There goes our split, Mike!
    1994 RRC LWB
    My projects: www.mmacrue.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @mmacrue

Lets do a group buy on it and make them use Paypal or else!
    Macho
    Just call me Jerry

04 Discovery pretty much stock except for rack.Want a lift, better tires,winch bumper and maybe some under armor.WHITE GOLD ROVER

G*% D@#&! Maybe Pay Pal isn't the way either. I can't get a seller on E-Bay to deliver a product ON TIME after paying him in advance! Maybe C.O.D. is the way. What is it with people's Business Ethics these days? Ethics... Look where that has got us here in America.

You have to be careful throwing the business ethics card out there.... becuase with a global economy, defining "business ethics" becomes unclear. In a previous post you said the "customer is ALWAYS right" but I disagreed with a particular reason. So are my ethics off or yours? Or Neither. When making a purchase of significance, and I call over $100 significant as an example, I look at EVERY purchase as a contract and include all sorts of terms to make sure that both seller and buyer have a clear understanding of what is to occur.

Lets say I am buying a part from Roverdude. If I want an OEM only part, I give him the part number and verify only OEM parts are needed. Roverdude sends me exactly what I ask for. If I give him the wrong part number, I don't complain as it was my mistake. IF I just need a "water pump" I tell Roverdude "water pump" and I get a water pump. Could be OEM, could be one from All Makes as that is the best one he has. But terms and conditions are clear and defined. You can ask Roverdude, I am very precise in my requests and prompt as promised on my payment. I have zero problems with parts as I don't rely on an interpretation, I rely on an common agreement and it works well. Roverdude gets my business and I would hope that I am considered a great customer for the way I handle my business.

Like, I won't buy anything that has a "no refund after construction" clause becuase I am ordering something custom built unless I can pick it up and pay at the same time. Or, the FOB my dock is in the terms, meaning I don't take possession until I sign for it. That way I have the ultimate refusal rights. But if the item comes and I think I made a bad choice, I pay for it as I made that choice.

COD only works if you can look at the purchase and tell in a moment if it is correct or not. COD will NOT allow you to bolt on a part and try it (like electrical parts are always this way) then decided it will not work for your application.

I do use sellers around the state and country, but I am very cautious about buying things this way. I prefer hands on product and money exchange. The exceptions are when it is a "stock" item that is only changing by price and when I expect before purchase to need to make modifications.

and Ebay, well we won't talk about that. The lack of support from Ebay when I got taken was so awful, I won't shop there anymore....
    Last edited by astateofmike; 10-04-2010 at 08:35 AM.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB