Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumper movement/settling

Bumper movement/settling

Did a few hard pulls this past weekend to free a suburban that was buried in a hard muddy rut, had to pull him from an angle instead of directly straight as well. We wound up tweaking the front end of his suburban and busting a few of his ujoints(IFS)

Noticed when i was home that it seems like my bumper has moved forward about an inch or two. This never happened when using the winch(never had to do a hard pull like this).

Checked the welds on my bumper and they are all good, Lines are straight too. Anything else to look for. All grade 8 hardware, 1/4" plate. Reputable company built the bumper.

On my old bumper it moved a great deal, flexed all over the place till i got rid of it (ARB)

Thanks
    Sam

Check the bolts, maybe they stretched.
    Kimo, Kathryn, Kaylyn, Kaleb and usually 1 or 2 other victims.

2001 Disco 2 SE7
    D1 CDL Linkage
    OME 766/763 lift 2" spacer and a D1 rear perch, EE Retained.
    10" Schroeder Valve 7100s in the front...12" SB 7100s 400/100 in the rear
    33 12.50 15 BFG KM2s
    EBC Rotors and Pads
    Bottorf lil' Guy Winch bumper with $3 High lift mounts.
    Bottorf Rear Bumper w/ swing away
    Roverland Sliders
    Tom Woods Front shaft (goes nice with the fresh cats and new tranny... ugh... Trans #3 now)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
    Check the bolts, maybe they stretched.
    Kimo,

Bolts attach perpindicularly to the direction of the car, wouldn't they have sheared instead of stretched then?

The sides of the bumper don't come close to lining up with the fender flares anymore

Thanks
    Sam

Is the bumper still symetric left and right? Sounds like you bent your bumper, or if your bumper maintains the crush-cans, you stretched one out.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

Crush cans are gone. Bumper is still symmetric, ie both sides are sitting out an inch or two.

Will take some measurements tomorrow. Hoping it isnt stretched etc. I did the pulls from a shackle connected to swivels.

Something funky happened. You can't have a perfect fit, pull on the shackle, and end up with a 2" gap without something getting tweaked.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

What bumper is it? There are a lot of different designs.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

If, when you mounted the ARB bumper to your truck, you didn't reinforce the mounts and only mounted to the crush can area, it will move and flex quite a bit, pretty common for them to do that.
    You might consider removing it, adding plating down both sides of the crush cans and bolting more securely to the frame.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

If it's an ARB, they are notorious for getting tweaked, or seriously bent, when off-roading.
    If the mounting holes slotted, that would allow it to move forward without shearing the bolts.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    If it's an ARB, they are notorious for getting tweaked, or seriously bent, when off-roading.
    If the mounting holes slotted, that would allow it to move forward without shearing the bolts.
    Tom/Mike, it isnt an ARB, my original bumper was an ARB.

Max, et al. : I hear what you are saying bro, thats what concerns me.

Update : I removed the bumper this morning from the truck(I need more protein) that thing with winch was damn heavy ~ 190lbs or so.

Reinstalled bumper after meticulously checking the welds and all. Bumper fits on better now, look to only have lost a half an inch or so from the original way it sat. It was on there pretty good before and is on there really good again, no flexing at all when I load up the winch with the tires against a 24" curb.

Thanks
    -Sam