Thread: Installed a "new" BeCM

Installed a "new" BeCM

None of the dashlights worked in my recently acquired P38. I purchased a "new" one from a salvage yard along with the instrument cluster. Now all my dash lights work but she won't start. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Troy

I believe you will need to have your new BCM programed so it will communicate with the ECU,
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

You can nopt use a used a used becm in a P38. The imobiitaziation is synced to the ECM and the becm. The only thing is if you send it to a company that can unlock the becm. Then you will need to get acess to a T4 machine and have it programed. You will need to have the build date, emergency acess code and key code.

Good luck

I also have access to the ECU from the vehicle I got the BeCU and Instrument panel from. Would this be of any use? Where do I find the emergency access code and key code?

Quote Originally Posted by tdreesman View Post
    I also have access to the ECU from the vehicle I got the BeCU and Instrument panel from. Would this be of any use? Where do I find the emergency access code and key code?
    Everything is programmed together. ECU, BECU, key fob and even the truck its in. You get the codes at time of purchase. I think they might be stored on the original becu and can be pulled with a T4.

You WILL have to have a T4 machine to do this programming, just swapping in modules from another truck will not magically work.
    88 RRC
    2002 RR 4.6 HSE

_o_o_o_o_
    |0_______0|
    [(O====O)]
    |//|........|//|
    |\\|-0--- |\\|
    |//|`````|//|

Quote Originally Posted by Roveron View Post
    You WILL have to have a T4 machine to do this programming, just swapping in modules from another truck will not magically work.
    You mean I can't just sprinkle some faerie dust on it and it'll work?

The nearest T4 machine is 100mi. away plus an autotransport from uhaul, 15gal. of diesel and although my independent Mech. is great his shop rate is $90/hr.

I have a complete '96 RR 15min away that they're pratically giving parts away from. I just don't know at what point one truck becomes the other which I think I was basically trying to do(?) Other makes/models usually there's a few key components that make up the "brains" and the rest report back to it/them.

I'm just looking for some helpful advice and creative ways to get this working. Anybody can just pull out their checkbook and if I have to I guess I will too.

Put your original BeCM back in.
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.

I'm happy to report she's up and running with all instruments working and no fault codes! I installed the Instrument cluster, BeCM & ECU from the same '96 into my '95. I used the key fob workaround from another forum. My mileage is different now (from the '96) but in CO it's not reported on vehicles over a certain age anyway.

I love my new ride!

how did you do the key fob work around? having the same issue with my rig need help. thanks