Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New RockStar Fabrication project vehicle

Thanks for posting your work! I really like what you are doing with the classic. You are giving me some ideas for mine, especially the roll cage. I will be paying close attention to the install of the roll cage.
    I have a question though, are you going to swap the roof for the roof off of an 87' that is a solid panel? Swapping roofs is fairly easy, they are only held on with silicone and a screw every six inches. It would make welding the cage in a breeze when the roof is off!

Great work, have a good one!

Jonathan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2181.jpg  
    Have a good one!

Jon

1988 RRC rolling restoration & customization

<a href="http://www.LRRForums.com/showthread.php?19302-The-Rolling-Restoration-amp-Customization-Of-My-88-RRC" target="_blank">My Range Rover Classic build thread</a>

Does anyone have a set of early 80's (4 door) front doors or door uppers w/ quarter windows for sale? I want to convert my rover to the quarter window style front doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Spent some time on the phone with Mike at Trent Fab.
    He's been desert racing since before it was the cool thing.
    With 100" wheelbase the DS angles will limit us to around 20" max travel on the rear (Anyone have a set of LWB rear doors and roof they want to donate to the cause?) and probably less than that up front due to steering links(unless we go full hydro which is an option)

Drew up the rear trailing arms on CAD. Arm length will be 50" with the shocks/COs mounted 10" from the axle mount (5.5" between the shocks and COs).

Front could be breaking new ground. Thinking about a trailing radius arm. Basically running a 48" radius arm with the shocks/COs the same 10" from the axle.
    He didn't recall it ever being done but neither of us could think of a reason it wouldn't work.
    Great work!

Was wondering what kind of desert racer you are building? Weekend-adrenalin-rusher or official racer which needs to comply with class regulations.
    Why I am asking is because I know for e.g. FIA rally raid racers the suspension travel is limited in all classes.

Nevertheless I am excited to see the progress of the car.

Do you have pictures of other cars - to give us a teaser in which direction you are heading.

Quote Originally Posted by burn_e View Post
    Great work!

Was wondering what kind of desert racer you are building? Weekend-adrenalin-rusher or official racer which needs to comply with class regulations.
    Why I am asking is because I know for e.g. FIA rally raid racers the suspension travel is limited in all classes.

Nevertheless I am excited to see the progress of the car.

Do you have pictures of other cars - to give us a teaser in which direction you are heading.
    There is a race series out here called TREC that is kind of anything goes.
    There are just two classes, full body and buggy and they race on offroad trails rather than pure desert stuff.
    This is a combination of TREC competition and weekend-adrenalin-rusher(I like that)
    As far as any of the SCORE racing; I don't think we fit in anywhere. We'll be too built for most stock-ish classes but without the HP to compete in the higher modded classes.
    Bringing levels of internet suckage previously deemed unobtainable.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

www.roxtarfab.com

There are just two classes, full body and buggy and they race on offroad trails rather than pure desert stuff.
    This is a combination of TREC competition and weekend-adrenalin-rusher(I like that)
    As far as any of the SCORE racing; I don't think we fit in anywhere. We'll be too built for most stock-ish classes but without the HP to compete in the higher modded classes.
    Came across a T1 (FIA Class) here which had the complete front end (partial frame, IFS and V8 engine) into a RRC.
    Another one bolted lots of parts of the RR Sport on a RRC frame (availabilty/price of body panels)

Already with battle scars

...and one of the loclal racing teams:

He told me he runs on standard police spec springs

Out of Control

Brad,my old friend,I can tell from all this banter that you are pretty stoked about this off road racing thing.With all this craziness,you going to still have time or interest in getting out to the Rally in Moab?
    97 D1 SE7 3"RTE lift 285/75/16 Cooper STT"s Rockstar bumps and sliders SD rack Hella's Ramsey winch RTE HD steering ARB locker(s) GBR rear axles RT HD front axles/cvs(and)RT rear links and more and more.......

"Now that's a tasty burger!" Samuel Jackson in PulpFiction

Quote Originally Posted by mick968 View Post
    Brad,my old friend,I can tell from all this banter that you are pretty stoked about this off road racing thing.With all this craziness,you going to still have time or interest in getting out to the Rally in Moab?
    Oh yea, I'll be there.
    This year is all about relaxing and enjoying it.
    Getting there early to do some mountain biking and staying about a week after to kayak the Colorado through Canyonlands.

www.roxtarfab.com

Who you bringing to the dance?

Oh yea, I'll be there.
    This year is all about relaxing and enjoying it.
    Getting there early to do some mountain biking and staying about a week after to kayak the Colorado through Canyonlands.
    Which vehicle are you dragging out this year(buggy or Disco?)(or both?)
    97 D1 SE7 3"RTE lift 285/75/16 Cooper STT"s Rockstar bumps and sliders SD rack Hella's Ramsey winch RTE HD steering ARB locker(s) GBR rear axles RT HD front axles/cvs(and)RT rear links and more and more.......

"Now that's a tasty burger!" Samuel Jackson in PulpFiction

Quote Originally Posted by mick968 View Post
    Which vehicle are you dragging out this year(buggy or Disco?)(or both?)
    Just the buggy this year.
    (The disco still has nightmares about Goldbar Rim)

Of course the buggy has it's own issues with Area BFE

Last edited by Roxtar; 09-07-2010 at 08:50 AM.

www.roxtarfab.com

Ouch. Driveshaft?

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    Ouch. Driveshaft?
    Among other things.

Put a 90 degree bend in the trailing arm. That snapped all four engine/trans mounts and pushed the drivetrain forward about 3" before the DS snapped.
    We manged to winch the trailing arm somewhat straight and pushed it off the trail.
    Of course, it had to happen right in the middle of the longest trail in Moab; Goldbar Rim/Poison Spider.

The next day (Vendor Day, of course) Alex, Lane, and I did a high speed run back with a trailing arm from Keith (Rovertracks), a DS from Alex, and quick set epoxy for the PS reservoir (ground a hole in it)

We winched the drivetrain back and locked (somewhat) everything in place with ratchet straps. Then replaced the arms and DS, epoxied the reservoir, and fired it up.

Then it was a high speed run off the trail and back to town, just in time to set up the Vendor booth at 2:00

www.roxtarfab.com