Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member approval...

I can understand his frustration, I've joined a few forums where I had to wait for Admin approval before I could post, but it was usually just a few hours, perhaps a day at most. And I never felt the need to make rude complaints to site staff about it. But the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience of a little wait when joining here, and I haven't seen any other complaints.

And I almost feel useless as far as being a moderator when there's so little spam to deal with now...
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Tony, I just wanted to say, that I think, based on the extremely low number of Spams that show up, that what you have been doing has really proven to work well for your site.
    I chase most of the Spams from 3 other Rover Forums which can run from 3 to 10 a day to as high 70 from a computerized Spam group.
    Keep up the great work.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Spam? I like Spam. Especially with eggs and toast.
    Macho
    Just call me Jerry

04 Discovery pretty much stock except for rack.Want a lift, better tires,winch bumper and maybe some under armor.WHITE GOLD ROVER

I've deleted 63 spammers in the last 30 days on a Rover site that I help moderate. What a huge PITA. Even with re-capcha and e-mail verification they seem to get through.

I didn't understand how time consuming and frustrating this process could be till I started helping moderate that other board. I like to run all new registration IPs through www.stopforumspam.com to see if come back as spammers and delete the ones that are.
    --Mark

"Spark plugs not required"

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    Tony, I just wanted to say, that I think, based on the extremely low number of Spams that show up, that what you have been doing has really proven to work well for your site.
    The danger isn't necessarily in obvious spam postings--Spammers are clever. Sometimes their only puropse is to get their website linked on as many other websites as possible so that their url appears higher on the list when somebody does a google search for "sporting goods" or whatever the spammer's website sells.

They make seemingly innocent posts like "I agree 100%!" or "great thread" and have an impreceptable link to their website somewhere in the post.

Part of the formula google and yahoo, etc use to figure out where to list a website when somebody does a search is the popularity of the website based on how many other sites contain links to that particular site. (hopefully that makes sense).
    --Mark

"Spark plugs not required"

Quote Originally Posted by crusader View Post
    They make seemingly innocent posts like "I agree 100%!" or "great thread" and have an impreceptable link to their website somewhere in the post.
    I call these people "Link Spammers". They are often clever enough to register and make several posts with no links so that people get used to seeing their usenames on the board before they go back and add the links to their sigs. And yes, they're usually pretty easy to identify just from the content of their posts. They often copy-and-paste partial content from an earlier post in the same thread to make it look like their own (and I suppose to save the time it takes to post something legible, since many of them can't even read or write English!)

I once got an email post notification on a thread I'd posted in, and saw my own words staring back at me...the spammer had copy-and-pasted my own earlier post for his spam links! Now that one really pissed me off...I felt violated!
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDan View Post
    I felt violated!
    Did you thank him, or was a tip needed? Ya never know....

Oh wait, you meant in a bad way..sorry.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB