Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member approval...

New member approval...

I know that I'm new around here, but may I suggest that the administrators start approving new members before allowing them to post. That would filter out the utterly obvios spammers who have been plaguing this board (and others) lately.

Just a suggestion....

--Mark
    --Mark

"Spark plugs not required"

I think it is a great idea... Tony?
    1994 RRC LWB
    My projects: www.mmacrue.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @mmacrue

Being a Moderator and or Administrator on 4 Rover forums, I have to say that is easier said then done. This site gets very few compared to other, I have one site that gets 10 or more hits a day and even when we delete and ban their I.P. address, they get back under a different I.P.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    Being a Moderator and or Administrator on 4 Rover forums, I have to say that is easier said then done. This site gets very few compared to other, I have one site that gets 10 or more hits a day and even when we delete and ban their I.P. address, they get back under a different I.P.
    I think the approach should be one of prevention as opposed to damage control. It's easy to spot (and disapprove) potential spammers when they sign up with with screen names like "abcd123" and have NO personal details at all, let alone details related to Rovers.

This is taken to extremes (in my opinion) on the LR4x4 forum where members not only have to be approved by an administrator, but your first dozen or so posts have to be reviewed for approval by an administrator before they post. That's just a little too much of a PITA if you ask me...

EDIT: Hopefully I don't seem generous with the administrator/moderator's time here--You're doing a great job. I figure that it takes as much time, if not more, for stevenmd and others to delete the spam in the morning and ban the spammer than to review and approve/disapprove new members to the board.
    Last edited by crusader; 06-03-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    --Mark

Not really...we average maybe one spammer every other day or so and it takes only a minute to ban them and remove their post(s)...

I too am a moderator on another site besides this one and even though it's one of the largest automotive sites on the internet, we still allow members to sign up without going through an approval process. It's better to allow them to sign up and post and then do damage control on the spammers later. Having to wait for your membership to be approved can turn new users away in search of other sites where they can get instant gratification. If you have a problem and need help now, you don't want to have to wait several hours (or days!) to be approved before you can even post your question.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by crusader View Post
    I know that I'm new around here, but may I suggest that the administrators start approving new members before allowing them to post. That would filter out the utterly obvios spammers who have been plaguing this board (and others) lately.

Just a suggestion....

--Mark
    Sounds great, but I have tried it that way as well and becomes an issue. What I have found is that most new members sign up and generally are looking to make a post quickly to help solve an issue on their vehicle. I end up getting all kinds of emails from new members wanting their membership activated like I'm sitting there 24-7. Generally, spammers will register and then log in at a later time which makes it difficult to spot them.

On the other hand, I already work my butt of dealing with this issue. I receive an email for every new activation here on the forums, I personally review all details in the email and then log in and ban those that are suspect or blatant. I'm not on the forums as much as I used to but still do a lot of banning. I just banned 6 spammers this morning that had not posted yet that I was saving for when I log in next. My 1st 15 minutes on the site everyday is dealing with Maint and spammers, hence another reason I don't spend more time answer questions, ect. Anyways, not complaining but most spam posts generally are only getting through because I had not had time to log in and ban them before they posted. I will try and get them banned quicker.
    Tony - Cerrone's European LRRForums Store

1999 Disco II - aka Black Cobra - Daily Driver
    2006 Range Rover HSE aka Wife's Rig

I wouldn't worry about it Tony...that's what we're here for. We usually find them when they post, and any we don't happen to come across right away, the users generally do and report them. We can't ban them before the fact like you can, only after the fact, but the amount of damage they do is minimal and easily cleaned up.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Tony DII View Post
    I will try and get them banned quicker.

Don't sewat it--I never would have guessed that there were that many spammers. Wow. You guys (especially Tony) are doing a pretty good job! I didn't realize that there were that many that were being banned on a regular basis. Keep up the good work
    Last edited by crusader; 06-07-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    --Mark

Just a follow up to this..

I have been approving every new member and I think since then
    Spamming has been at a all time low. I do my best to approve and
    of deny at least once per day.. I just received this email today and
    I wasn't having a good day already.. Of course he only
    waited 5 minutes to send this..

"the registration process is retarded, I'm sorry but to wait for an administrator to approve you is just doesn't work, who wants to wait for an email to be able to use a forum. I will just post elsewhere my issues."

then he sends again...

"How am I supposed to post to this forum if I cant join???? Cmon man"

Anyways,

It's safe to say he will not be posting on LRRF period. Enjoy the other forum.
    Tony - Cerrone's European LRRForums Store

1999 Disco II - aka Black Cobra - Daily Driver
    2006 Range Rover HSE aka Wife's Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Tony DII View Post
    It's safe to say he will not be posting on LRRF period. Enjoy the other forum.
    Yeah, seems like he belongs somewhere else to me......

Tony, not that you need to hear it, but I know that there are thousands of us who think things here at LRRF are awesome and thank you for all your work!
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB