Thread: dog deterrents

dog deterrents

So I went out for a bike ride today and got chased by two large Labs that looked like they were trying to eat me. It was almost comical as I think back on it but I'm wondering what others are using to deter large dogs. I just bought a Dog Dazer and am wondering if I just wasted money and am I going to have to pack heat too. I love my dogs, I just hate other peoples dogs that are allowed to run free.

I thought about some sort of spray but I think that could back fire if there's a head wind. That's the last thing I would want is to be bitten and have my face burning at the same time.

When I get the Dog Dazer in the mail I'm going to try it on my neighbors pitbull, and see if it effects him at all.
    99 D1...

Some dogs will back off if you shake a can of pennies at them. If that doesn't work, Bee/Wasp spray will shoot a stream up to 25 feet.

Baseball bat.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

When I was young and rode a bicycle on the road a lot, I had a frame-mounted tire pump that I carried at all times, mounted along the front of the seat tube (from below the seat and top tube down toward the crank pin). If a dog came after me, I reached down, grabbed it like a baseball bat, and whacked the pooch on the nose. Very effective. I don't know if long pumps of that type are still common as many have much more compact solutions for tire inflating purposes but I like the dual purpose it served. I had to carry a pump as I was running sew-up tires in those days and flats were a fact of life, as were ornery dogs.

Granville aka Gran or Granny
    '06 LR3 SE7 V8
    North California Wine Country
    http://home.comcast.net/~teacupfarm/index.html

I don't think I'm going to carry a bat, since that would be a pain to carry unless I strapped it on the bike somewhere. That would definately deter the dog after a pop on the nose though.

I have a small compact pump that I carry too but I think it would break if I hit a dog hard enough with it. It would have to be a last ditch effort. hahah

The area was rural so I don't think the owners watch their dogs when they're outside, since I didn't see anyone on their property. I was just wondering what others have used since I will eventually ride out that way again, there was hardly any cars and nice scenery.
    99 D1...

Or maybe keep a quirt (riding crop) in your back pocket...

Granville aka Gran or Granny
    '06 LR3 SE7 V8
    North California Wine Country
    http://home.comcast.net/~teacupfarm/index.html

Most dogs will back off with a squirt of water in the face from your water bottle. If anything, this will give you a chance to get away.
    Jarrod
    '06 LR3 V8 "Rex"
    LRRForums#18

Gone but not forgotten...
    '92 Rangie (gone to a new home on LRR)
    '89 Rangie (sold)
    '00 Discovery II (new home in Chico)