Thread: ARB bumper install/mods

ARB bumper install/mods

As another step in moving my Disco II toward a better offroader I recently removed my factory bumper and installed the ARB winch bumper. When I was done with the install I did not like the new gaping hole under the bumper where the old bumper had a nice screen to let air into the radiators but keep sticks (and small mammals?) out.

So I looked at the screen/air scoop in my old bumper and decided to cut it out of the old bumper and see if I could get it back under the new one. It worked really slick. I am attaching a few photos. Basic steps are to separate the steel backing from the plastic portion of the old bumper by removing a few bolts and pulling them apart. then us a saw to cut out the middle section of the plastic part of the old bumper (middle 2 ft +/-). then you find that middle plastic piece fits into its old position behind the new ARB puper providing the same air-scoop and stick blocker as before. This assumes you keep the steering arm protector bar under your vehicle when you put on the ARB bumper. I am attaching a few photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 11'10 008rs.jpg   April 11'10 007rs.jpg   April 11'10 005rs.jpg   April 11'10 004rs.jpg   April 11'10 002rs.jpg  

April 11'10 001rs.jpg  
    Last edited by akrockhound; 05-16-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typos

question,

does your trailer light come on with your turn signals after wiring the bumper running lights?

Quote Originally Posted by 11b4v View Post
    question,

does your trailer light come on with your turn signals after wiring the bumper running lights?
    Answer: We just covered this on another thread. By design, all Discovery's flash the trailer light during the first flash when you turn on your turn signals. It's in the owners manual (which would have been easier for me to look up rather than running off with some experiment of cleaning off the electrical contacts throughout the signal system).

--

Nice job on the install mod. You guys are making me want to take my turn at installing a front wench bumper on my D1. Stop it!

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Yes, that's normal

the extra set of yellow lights on your ARB bumper draw enough power that the elctrical system sensor thinks you have a trailer plugged in (because the lights on a trailer would draw more power).

It all going as planned.

roger that akrockhound, that's what I thought was going on given that the wiring / splicing is in essence a trailer wiring set up up front.

I picked up my bumper second hand new without any wiring instructions. I wired from memory off the old truck from which it came.

My third brake light is currently out and I was hoping it was the culprit.

thanks again, mv