Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank skids

Fuel tank skids

Between RoverTym, Southdown, and Columbia Overland. Which one is the best taking in to account amount of protection, ease of install, weight, durability?

RTE will be bullet proof but heavy. I think you can get them to make one in Alum if you ask them. I would go with the LGI (carried by columbia rovers) because its aluminum. My buddy put one on his truck and it actually raises the tank up about an inch or so.

I thought about doing mine out of aluminum but decided to go with steel just because steel slides off rock rather that catching on it. It is a little heavier but will be way more durable. If I had to buy on I really like the RTE design.

I have a 3/8th." aluminum slider made by one of our club members that has served me well over the last couple of years. I also know a man who is trying to duplicate the original tank skid plate made by Rover and it is by far the way to go because it mounts and 3/8th." under the tank, does not carry the weight of the tank hence does not allow rocks to wear a hole in the tank.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    I have a 3/8th." aluminum slider made by one of our club members that has served me well over the last couple of years. I also know a man who is trying to duplicate the original tank skid plate made by Rover and it is by far the way to go because it mounts and 3/8th." under the tank, does not carry the weight of the tank hence does not allow rocks to wear a hole in the tank.
    Curious...so uh, who is he? Alum or steel? price?

Quote Originally Posted by leeawalden View Post
    Curious...so uh, who is he? Alum or steel? price?
    x2

I just called my mechanic and he is getting quotes from his fabricator for both metal and aluminum and said he would get back to me in a week or so.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Just ordered a RockArmor aluminum Fuel Tank skid from Texas Land Rover Services... Great price point, I guess time will tell for strength, durability,... www.texaslandroverservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    I just called my mechanic and he is getting quotes from his fabricator for both metal and aluminum and said he would get back to me in a week or so.
    Update?

-Sam

I have the gas tank skid from Columbia Rovers. It's worked out great so far.
    KF7KOY
    2005 LR3
    1994 DI (ROKROVR)
    1991 RRC
    www.azlro.org