Thread: Brakes REALLY Squealing

Brakes REALLY Squealing

Family,

My 96 4.6 HSE's brakes are REALLY squealing. Like enough to make a person cringe.
    My wife says it's embarrassing and she's getting looks & comments.
    I agree the brakes are really squealling a lot.

I was at the shop about 3000 miles ago and my guy says I still have 50% left on the pads. I trust my shop, but they are not perfect.

What are your thoughts?

Also, what type / where might I find some sound deadening spray for the back of the pads, for now or in th future?

Thanks - I appreciate it.

Your brake pads, although still of a decent thickness, have hardened up and are glazed.
    Have your rotors deglazed and install a good set of pads like Okebono ceramics and you'll be set.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Thanks Mike.
    Appreciate it.

Even though this is an old post, when experiencing squealing at about 5k after a front brake job I was surprised to find the cause of my squealing was seized guide pins on the caliper bracket, I was able to clean them up with a wire wheel and some grease, squealing is now gone.