Thread: Upgrade Question

Upgrade Question

Say you have a MTB with a good frame and fork but has average components,
    what would you upgrade first with a budget of 500.00?

Thanks in advance,

David

What are you trying to do? Lighten? Strengthen?

Me, a clydsdale by any means, I swap shocks and forks, make sure I am running 24 or 27 components and upgrade rims/handlebars/seat...

Comfort? Seat/bars/pedals

Lighten? fancy new bling...

So you know, last time I weighed the trail bike it was almost 35 lbs....but at 300 myself, I can get speed by loosing 5 lbs of fat and still the bike will not buckle under the weight....

So, tell us more.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

What don't you like on your bike? If you like it overall, just want to upgrade it, start with the drive-train, and work your way from there.

Oh and Mike, my DH bike weights under 33lbs, and I doubt you'd come close to breaking it, you can drop quite a few pounds from your trail-bike if you want.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

well, my bike is really old, I have SRAM stuff, which I love and some fat Mammoth rims with uber thick 2.5 or larger tires on an old Haro frame (now 10 years old) that I broke in half once and has been fine since.....full suspension with the horrible and typical bob when standing....

So yes, I could drop some pounds, but am more likely to drop lbs by riding that pig (and be faster) then to replace components...... just a fat old man I am...
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Oh, sorry I guess I should have explained a little better. I'm actually good to go.
    Older GT Avalanche frame with full XTR.

A buddy of mine was asking about upgrades on his bike. I told him crank, rear derailleur and shifters.

I was curious to see what your thoughts were so i wasn't sending him in the wrong direction.

David

Well you can blow $600 on a good set of Fox forks or Crossmax /Chris King hubs & Mavic rims but are the components all worn out?? as he has the best if it is XTR. I would save my pennies and build or buy another bike.
    95 4.6 Range Rover LWB 25th anniversary (Rovage)50230 cam/RPI ECU
    04 Range Rover
    87 white RRC
    93 Range Rover LWB Crawler 4.6

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqczzhsWOh8

NCLR #93