Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BUGOUT bag/survival/trail repair LIST ??

also HAM radios would be a great asset, Cb's are only good for very close proximity and will not be helpful in an emergency.

More comments on equipment later.
    [/SIGPIC]Enrique, Susie, Sebastian 12 & Isabel 4yrs old.

Mexxi's Restaurant & Catering.
    Catering to the farthest corner of the planet, in a Land Rover, of course!

Land Rover stable:
    1962 IIA 109 Reg. in resurrection process.
    1992 RRC SOLD
    1998 Disco I with a peppy 4.6
    2006 LR3 HSE

Stockton(why, I do not know yet!)/rackerby, ca.
    For me, an emergency poncho, good waterproof boots, heat sticks in case you get wet(the dampness of the fog will seep into you, so wear wool!) a couple of fire starter bricks, some dry wood to get a fire started, then you can add small pieces of damp, but not wet wood to keep it going. A good compass and map is also good to have in case you break down and have to hike out. A little extra food rations might be a good idea, along with an extra fuel bottle for your stove in case of the same. I keep most of this stuff in my side bins, sans the wood and the boots. Don't know if you are into fire arms, but I always carry one if I travel solo, never know what you might run across(bear and "farmers" are my only worry, with the "farmers" it's "just passin' thru, I see nothing").
    "When you need one, you wish you had one"-Land Rover! '03 Discovery II, CDL with '04 linkage, 2"OME lift, 265/75R16Toyo MT's on Pro Comps, sliders ,Rovertym front bumper with 9k Superwinch, diff guards, still bangin' steel on the rest of the stuff...

quick add-

Get a handheld or even car mounted GPS(the batteries on the car ones dont last shiit though!!) That way you can set a waypoint and just reverse course if it get too hairy or you have to hoof it..Did not see this listed..of course dense woods will killthis advantage a lot.

Go buy a Magnesium firestarter kit-on sale at Harbor freight for like $3..and for 'tinder..laugh if you want but DRYER LINT taken from the cleaning screen,put in a ziplock bag-makes GREAT firestarting stuff if using the Mag shave fire kit.
    Also a box of 'strike anywhere' wood matches are handy.

OR take a propane torch.
    -decent LED flashlight-batts last long time..I prefer AA or AAA size but Lithium cells are pretty cheap and will store for like 10 years. Also one of the 'headband' type of LED lights are good for hands free use. The chemmie light sticks are good.
    -IF the place is not dried out or for LAST RESORT if hurt,stuck,etc--Marine 12Ga flaregun kit--only for the 'they dont see me but are overhead' situations.
    -FRS Radio
    -Crankup radio to listen to if you dont want to run the car or use car battery

**I also carry-
    A FAL rifle and a pistol(like the man said-never know who /what you run into)-personally I know how to handle and how animals act..it's the 'farmers','scientists',mountain men who have given me the most 'issues'. but hey a pistol or a 12ga shotgun can really be a comfort when weird footsteps are heard moving around and through your camp area--ask me how I know-:<O!!!

I would carry some extra oil,atf,coolant maybe stopleak and some of that epoxy putty metal repair that comes in the tube where you breakoff pieces and knead the shove into the hole.

Well that is all I have to add and others have covered the rest I think or you already have other stuff..

Have a great and safe trip!!

I learned this from esteban and his wife. Take the drier lint, and stuff it in a cardboard egg carton. Melt a candle (in an old pot or use a makeshift aluminum foil cup) and pour it into the egg carton over the lint until full. Cutout each egg holder and toss them into a ziplock bag. You'll have a lot of fire starter material that lasts much longer to get the fire going and it's pretty waterproof too.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

yea, I know my radios are for looks only...

great idea on the egg carton!

Its hard to get ahold of my friends up there, I heard he just quit his job. So hopefully he will want to come with and bring his Toyota, shotguns, chainsaws, and such.

I went on a frugal shopping spree last night, picked up;

eastwood camp axe $40.00
    Hand come along (winch) rated 2tons $40.00
    Cheap shovel $5.00
    Bushnell GPS! only $39.99 orig 249.99!
    water storage $15.99

and the best of all.....
    265/75/16 BFG MUD TERRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Im soo excited they are getting mounted as I type! I found some used A/ts but decided F*** that !!!!

I feel like I have everything needed, still need

fire extingisher
    spare battery

thanks for the posts, I dont know about you guys but I love gearing up, making survival gear checklists and preppin the truck!! just waxed it, and all she needs is an oil change!! I promise epic pics of one of the cleanest rovers around, even after being totaled-with loads of people telling me to put her in a land fill...
    I have impressed myself with this build

Quote Originally Posted by holtonc28 View Post
    yea, I already contacted Ron! Im excited since this will be the first trip in the resto-rover!
    Back? How's the trip to the Lost Coast for you? Hope all went well. Post up some pics/trip report. C yah!
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

Quote Originally Posted by Disco2Guy View Post
    I learned this from esteban and his wife. Take the drier lint, and stuff it in a cardboard egg carton. Melt a candle (in an old pot or use a makeshift aluminum foil cup) and pour it into the egg carton over the lint until full. Cutout each egg holder and toss them into a ziplock bag. You'll have a lot of fire starter material that lasts much longer to get the fire going and it's pretty waterproof too.
    Thanks B! The egg carton/lint/parafin wax makes for a super cheap and easy fire starter.

holtonc28, how was the trip?

Steve
    NCLR #49
    stock