Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUGOUT bag/survival/trail repair LIST ??

BUGOUT bag/survival/trail repair LIST ??

I am getting ready for a week long camping trip in the LOST COAST. Trying to put together a recovery/repair kit. BESIDES the obvious, I was wondering what you think should be included? I need room for gear, so no need spare DS or panhards...

Main concern is the right tools. Mostly old logging roads, No serious off road crawling, however I like to be prepared. WHICH sizes are most common other than 19 mm, 13mm, 15mm?

Fluids; Do I really need ATF?
    (Coolant,Oil,Axles,headlamp fluid...)

spare acc. belt, tapes, ropes, ties,

Machettes,Knifes,axes, sledge,hatchet {I still need a good shovel}

Water supply (any good purifications?)

shelters

Fishing

Food Preperation

Beer

First AID
    Gloves
    Rain Gear
    Jumper Cables

IS heavy chain a bad idea instead of tow rope? Cant afford proper rope this week, but I have tons of good chains. I know its not the best but hopefully for this trip it will only be used for emergency.

Leaving this weekend,
    Lets make a proper list!

LINK to more than you'll need. But you can decide from the suggestions what to bring.
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.

look for RonCT110 or DiscoChef, they were up there on Ural or Usal Road last weekend....

They can tell you chainsaw or not and how the mud/trails were.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Thanks roverdude!

yea, I already contacted Ron! Im excited since this will be the first trip in the resto-rover!

My main concern with the list is not really trail parts. More survival and outdoors. I think I have a better chance of seeing bears and bald eagle hunts than my power steering hose leaking...
    I dont want to manifest my truck breaking down, Im trying to get away from the worries of life, not bring the with me!!!!

My biggest concern with the truck is getting stuck, and I dont have my winch bumper yet.

I like what this guy said.

"Carry what you need to get to safety should be the goal. I tend to think many people go overboard with the spares list. Weight and size of spares can really add up. Additionally I think the additional weight of aftermarket protection along with tools, spares, recovery gear, fluids, etc plus camping gear can really put additional strain on the drivetrain and eventually lead to failures."

Thanks for the posts

IS heavy chain a bad idea instead of tow rope? Cant afford proper rope this week, but I have tons of good chains. I know its not the best but hopefully for this trip it will only be used for emergency.

??????????????????????????????

Heavy chain is better than nothing except for the fact that you need two vehicles to even use it. When Ron and I were on Usal Rd, we only saw 1 vehicle pass by our camp all night. If it's wet at all, and it surely will be with all this weather were getting, this road will become extremely slick. It turns a mild fire road into a handful quickly. Be careful.
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

Rule #1 is to never go out alone. Of course this rule isn't always adhered to, so I'd say if you are going alone (meaning one vehicle) make a travel plan/itinerary and share it with friends/family/LRRForums.

I carry one of these in my truck at all times.
    http://www.expeditionexchange.com/adventuremedicalkits/ You should be able to get them cheaper (or less equipped) at REI too.

Do you have a SPOT device, or something similar that can transmit a distress signal? I always pack lots of water and power bars. They have lots of calories, pack small and don't require any prep before eating. Take food storage and trash very seriously out there.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

I have some buddies that live up there, maybe he will want to bring his Toyota. But I dont know of he will be comming or not. I will be glad to let you guys know
    I dont have a SPOT. I didnt want to pay monthy service. I do have a set of cheap radios.
    That is a badass kit, I have got a "home made" setup thats similar. BUT not that much painkillers!

StateofMike is right, I just went up there with a couple of friends. It is simply beautiful and very slick, I would bring SAND LADDERs and a chain saw.

There were fallen trees and a couple of very deep mud bogs 20' or more inches deep. we used sand ladders, winch and tow straps to get out of deep ruts.

Also:

tarps

extra boots (waterproof)

secondary battery (even as a spare) if you're traveling solo.

it was very lonely on the trail itself, we did not find any traffic on Usal Rd.
    [/SIGPIC]Enrique, Susie, Sebastian 12 & Isabel 4yrs old.

Mexxi's Restaurant & Catering.
    Catering to the farthest corner of the planet, in a Land Rover, of course!

Land Rover stable:
    1962 IIA 109 Reg. in resurrection process.
    1992 RRC SOLD
    1998 Disco I with a peppy 4.6
    2006 LR3 HSE