Thread: My Victorian High Country trip

My Victorian High Country trip

We commenced our trip early morning on 26th February,

Met our traveling companions at Bruthen in Victoria and started our real journey on the Haunted stream track

Camped after one of the many river crossings beside the river and started day 2..............then soon ran into a problem.........................

After assessing the problem and deciding that we don't have "turn back" in our vocabulary we spent the next hour or so getting over it, the chain saw got some use as did our log placing skills

I would add at this stage SWMBO did the driving in this instance, I was busy with log cutting and placement

The other point I would make is that our camper is a heavy duty Off Roader an weighs 1 to 1.25 tons

Made it!!

The rest of the Haunted Stream Track was very pretty but no problems. We passed through what was Dawson City and came across a fallen tree which was too large for us to clear however a very short detour got us around it and then came across another smaller one which we dragged out of the way

From there we turned on to the Birrigum track, past Dogs Grave, a very pointed monument

and to the Waterford Caravan Park where we left the trailers for the day to do the South Basalt Knob track.

Starting point was the steep decline down the Bulltown Spur Track where my brakes got a little hot using the HDC and locked up in 1 low, when we got to the bottom there was a crossing of the Crooked River so we had morning tea and let the brakes cool off a little

Then we started our climb, 750 metres in about 1 1/4 Kms, steep, just as well the track was dry, I would not attempt it when wet

from the top we then followed the track to the Blue Rag Range track, by then the weather had closed in as well as the cloud, the track had very limited visibility and having been on it before I knew I couldn't turn around until the Trig Point.

The drop either side of the track is a long way, we are up at over 1700 metres

We returned via the Dargo High Plain Rd to collect our campers and headed out to find a camp spot on the Traills Track however we couldn't haul the camper over the first hill so we retreated to 2 mile flat and spent the night there

One of several fungi in the camp area

We decided to then move on to the Abbeyard area and spent the next night in the camp area before Abbeyard, the following day we went up Mt Buffalo, the scene of my breakdown 5 years ago, views are indeed spectacular, stayed another night in the Abbeyard area and had a roast chicken dinner........

Definitely not my better side!!!

For the rest of the trip I am waiting to see if we can retrieve the pics form our camera which had a heart attack

Awesome !

Nice trip!

Greetings from California
    Carlos
    KG6YYV

IGITUR DESIDERAT PACEM, PRAEPARET BELLUM !

101 fc..............(MISHKA)
    RRC 92.............(REDSQRE)

UNIMOG.......... (KURSK43)
    LR3.................(KIFUYEM)
    PATHFINDER....(KRASOTKA)

NCLR 27

Thanks for sharing Richard! The log crossing was awesome. Looks like you guys had a great time and no breakdowns. Well done. Cheers!
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

Thanks for the report and photos Richard. Ya can't beat a bit of log pulling
    The views from Mt Buffalo certainly are good . I believe the Cafe/accomm is
    still closed , pending a lease agreement. When I was there in Nov'08 , the Gums
    had started to repopulate , but the square miles of white , dead trunks was very
    eerie . It was a massive blaze http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...685681152.html

Quote Originally Posted by neil p View Post
    Thanks for the report and photos Richard. Ya can't beat a bit of log pulling
    The views from Mt Buffalo certainly are good . I believe the Cafe/accomm is
    still closed , pending a lease agreement. When I was there in Nov'08 , the Gums
    had started to repopulate , but the square miles of white , dead trunks was very
    eerie . It was a massive blaze http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...685681152.html
    Yes it had certainly changed after we were there in 2005

Quote Originally Posted by N2RVRS View Post
    Nice trip!

Greetings from California
    Thanks N2RVRS Greetings from us also in Safety Bay western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Thanks for sharing Richard! The log crossing was awesome. Looks like you guys had a great time and no breakdowns. Well done. Cheers!
    It's our third trip into this area, each time 9 days on different trails. We are beginning to plan another trip next year