Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack Fab

Good work

Nice work, hope mine turns out that good.

I have just about finished this roof rack and i made the gutter mounts and there turning out great. Im too cheap to do anything else, besides ive made the roof rack and had to teach my self how to weld in the process, after making the rack not being able to make the gutter mounts would be a dumb on my part. Ill post some pics tomorrow if i get a chance

Early in the year i posted pics of my new roof rack fab. I have finally got my roof rack almost done i will see if i can post some new pics tomorrow, it turned out pretty good i think, made my own gutter mounts, it was farily easy, i have gotta finshind the outside mounting piece that holds it to the gutter.

want to build me a full rack? I need one! Well I mean I want one. What happened to your pictures? No more posts since?
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landrover 1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	26977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landrover 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	26978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landrover 3.jpg 
Views:	28 
ID:	26979Sorry about not posting any more pics, almost finished rack, all brackets are made, made the mistake of using what i thought were good bolts but they have rusted so im gonna replace them with new and paint them before install, plannin on adding lights but just gotta wait to get more funds. Currently building new console, work in progress.

Did you use steel or aluminum to make your roof rack?
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

I used 1/8" thick steel by 1" square tubing. I made the gutter mounts from 1/4" thick 3" wide steel. Painted and primed with Rustoleum paint. This was a learning experience , I used friends stick welder , I had never welded before. Weather in WV is harsh and paint is holding excellent . Rack will hold as much as rain gutter can stand .250lb plus

Not bad at all.... Do you know how much the material cost you in all? Minus the welding gear. Kinda curious to know what everything would cost roughly to build one for my Disco. Nice job by the way. Not bad for your first time.

Quote Originally Posted by wvrobbie22 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landrover 1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	26977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landrover 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
ID:	26978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landrover 3.jpg 
Views:	28 
ID:	26979Sorry about not posting any more pics, almost finished rack, all brackets are made, made the mistake of using what i thought were good bolts but they have rusted so im gonna replace them with new and paint them before install, plannin on adding lights but just gotta wait to get more funds. Currently building new console, work in progress.

How wide is you bottom rectangle? Starting mine this weekend. thanks in advance, dino
    Last edited by dino2000; 05-04-2012 at 04:42 PM.

rack fab

finally got the shop set up and going on the rack. Time has been limited to week nights after work and a little on the weekends. Learning lessons about set up and prep as I go along and each weld seems to be getting better. This is where I am now, base of the rack complete. Going to try to weld up the front upper rectangle fro the basket today, and get it mostly done over the weekend. Used 1" tubing for the perimeter and cross bars and .75" for the stringers and the bottom of the basket.

94' RRC LWB
    07' KTM 950 Super Enduro
    08' Merc ML350 4matic