Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack Fab

Question Roof Rack Fab

I was wondering what others have done for the gutter mounting for a custom roof rack. I want to make a low profile simple rear rack out of steel 1/2 ID conduit. Just need a good way to attach to gutters. Any help is apprecitated!

I've just had a half rack made for my '04 and the mounts were based from the mounts on my full size Wilderness rack I have on my '95. I'm not sure how to post a photo here but essentially the mounts are made from a sheet of flat steel, about 3 in wide at the bottom and tapering to about 2.25in at the top. There are two angles bent into the steel to take it from straight up to tappering it in to the top of the roof. The first bend is about 3 in up and the second where the mount goes under the rack to mount. On the side over the gutter a piece of square tubing is welded, I think it was 1/4 in, maybe bigger. it is big enough for a grade 8 bolt to go through, don't remember the size (3/8 maybe). the bold head is cut off and a piece of bent flat is welded to that such that it fits under the gutter like an "L". Since the top is threaded the bolt goes up thru the tubing welded onto the mount and when you put the cap on and tighten it pulls the mount and rack down on the gutter.

I should be picking mine up today (they were drilling the bolt holes, and can take a photo to send you. I designed the rack and had the community college welding class build it. I provided the steel and design, that was my only cost. it's a great way to have something built if you don't have the skill or tools/time and gives them some real world experience building something for a customer. I had to clean up some of the welds but still a great deal overall. Now I need to paint it. The community college also has an automotive paint shop so I may be able to get that done for material costs as well.

cool, thanks for the info. I put this project on the back burner after realizing that I dont really need a rack goin to put my spare time into rear bumper and diff lock

I don't have a lot of material to fab up my own gutter mounts, so what height gutter mounts do I need? I'm making a custom room rack (well, kind of) and am a little confused on the height of the gutter mounts.

hey man heres a picture of a roof rack i made for my D1 i'll try to get some pictures of my mount i made tomorrow

my rack is not going to come down the sides near the gutter like yours does. more of a generic basket style or like the hannibal rack

My mounts were 9 5/8" tall overall. I thought I had a photo but can't find it. Hopefully my sketch is attached showing how I put my half rack together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack Drawing.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by kferg View Post
    My mounts were 9 5/8" tall overall.
    Does the rear sunroof hit your loaded rack?

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

The rear sunroof cannot be opened with my half rack. The clearance is less than two inches. I wanted to keep the profile low so I disconnected the switch to the rear to prevent and accidental opening/shattering.

I've attached two photo's of the half rack on my '04. Next project is a floor on it. I kept the profile low to keep the mileage impact low. I still get the same mpg with this rack on or off. The Wilderness full rack really pulled it down on the hwy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 152.jpg   Picture 153.jpg