Thread: Range Rover Viscous coupled transfer case

Range Rover Viscous coupled transfer case

On a 1993 LWB 4.2 RRC, I have the "engaged viscous coupled transfer case" problem where it is locked and makes wheels chirp and grab in turns. The question is, how do I fix this? I have heard that it is the clutch "bump" on the transfer case. It is this simple, unbolt the old one and bolt on a replacement. Anyadvice would be greatly appreciated.
    Mark Pilkington.

Thumbs up

Hey Mark,Piece of cake.Thanks for the post
    1)unbolt frt driveshaft from t/box, remove frt output flange on t/box ,remove pasnger side t/box mount & bracket assembly.remove support rod on pasngr side frt t/box housing to bell housing.remove 7 or 8 bolts holding frt housing to t/box assmbly & remove housing assmbly.on bench take a brass punch & tap out old viscus assmbly from frt bearing. replace with new or known good used one & reassmble in reverse order this is a very easy job takes about 1 hour or so. P.S apply a slight amount of sealant on housing during assembly.there is no gasket!
    Part # rtc6044

Hey Mark,Where did you find those piston liners for your 4.6 I have been unable to locate? I have a 2 blocks that I would like to rebuild 4.0 & 4.6 Blocks were brand new but they got overheated & liners dropped down
    Last edited by Frank D90; 01-18-2006 at 11:06 AM.
    Frank Cerrone
    www.LRRForums.com
    Mods 4.6 ltr engine conversion, 3 "Rovertym lift,1 " spacers,cones,rear links,Bilsteins 7100 shocks,Safarigard 3 link,Safarigard rear tire carrier, Rovertracks H/D front axles with Longfield c/vs,rear Salisbury with Rovertracks 35 spline axles, GBR 4:11s gears,GBR 49% transfer box low range gears, ARB lockers,front & rear,37" Pro Comp XTerrain Tires mounted on stock Wheels, 30MM wheel spacers,Mastercraft Seats front & rear with 5 point seatbelts

Would a LT-230 be an improvement over the viscous?... I like the idea of the locked portion, but is it worth the trade out from what I currently have?
    Aaron

"Life is to be lived.If you have to support yourself, you had bloddy well better find some way that is going to be interesting....And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself"
    -Katherine Hepburn

Thumbs up VC vs DL

Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    Would a LT-230 be an improvement over the viscous?... I like the idea of the locked portion, but is it worth the trade out from what I currently have?
    This is a much debated question. More of the serious off-roaders with Range Rovers seem to favor the switch to the LT-230 but I am a devotee of the viscous coupling. I think it works very well indeed, especially when combined with torque biasing diffs in the axles (my '92 has a Tru Trac in the front and a Quaife in the rear). My RR suffers from a lack of clearance but certainly not from a lack of traction. I plan to do some (more) serious wheeling for a long time with the BW xfer box, with its VC. Of course, that may be partly because I have a supply of spare BW boxes!

Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    Funrover,
    You, Granny and I all have '92 RRC. Granny and I have taken very different approches to 4wd system. I opted for a LT230 with air locker in the rear. I will likely move the rear air locker to the front and move to 24 spline axles in the rear. I will also put an air locker back in the rear axle again. I like the manual approach. I want to know when diffs are locked or not. The reason I went for a lt230 over the BW was because of reliability with larger tires. The VC has a hard time with bigger MTs. Also the chains in the BW have been known to fail. However, If I am not mistaken the BW chain was beefed up for the '92 MY. I really like the setup I have. I would do it again.
    -Jarrod
    Jarrod
    '06 LR3 V8 "Rex"
    LRRForums#18

Gone but not forgotten...
    '92 Rangie (gone to a new home on LRR)
    '89 Rangie (sold)
    '00 Discovery II (new home in Chico)

Isn't the LT230 stock in D1's?

Quote Originally Posted by roverX
    Isn't the LT230 stock in D1's?
    Yes. It was also stock pre 89 in the RRC. The LT230Q comes in the DSII.

-Jarrod
    Jarrod
    '06 LR3 V8 "Rex"
    LRRForums#18

Gone but not forgotten...
    '92 Rangie (gone to a new home on LRR)
    '89 Rangie (sold)
    '00 Discovery II (new home in Chico)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrodw
    Funrover,
    You, Granny and I all have '92 RRC. Granny and I have taken very different approches to 4wd system. I opted for a LT230 with air locker in the rear. I will likely move the rear air locker to the front and move to 24 spline axles in the rear. I will also put an air locker back in the rear axle again. I like the manual approach. I want to know when diffs are locked or not. The reason I went for a lt230 over the BW was because of reliability with larger tires. The VC has a hard time with bigger MTs. Also the chains in the BW have been known to fail. However, If I am not mistaken the BW chain was beefed up for the '92 MY. I really like the setup I have. I would do it again.
    -Jarrod
    Knowing what I now know, if I were starting from scratch, particularly with a failed VC and no spares (I actually have spares), I would probably also do as Jarrod has done. While lack of traction has rarely been an issue for my RR and probably only in situations where full lockers would have made little difference, Jarrod's point about tolerence for big tires is well taken. I just passed on a great buy on five steel 8"x15" wheels with 4" backset because I have 10-spline axles and all the other weaknesses that would cost so much to upgrade (especially at this point, with the Tru Trac & Quaife already installed). I feel that I can go no larger than 32" tires and am probably pushing my luck even at that. I'd love to go to 33" or a bit bigger, with more offset, but don't want to spend thousands to make it feasible.