Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 rr tranny issue

Angry 2003 rr tranny issue

2003 Rover trans code p0741 they say i need to replace trans. it is a torque converter lock problem. Any one else had this problem or can maybe help me.

Some one is trying to possibily get in your wallet.
    How many miles on your truck, how often does the tranny get serviced and what are the driving problems with it.
    Mike

60k miles I have owned this car for over a year and have had no problems what so ever. Last week i started it in cold weather and heard a slight whinning noice. I put it in drive and a couple minutes later the check engine light came on and we checked the code p0741 tcc. I can not beleive that a trany can just go out without any signs. Land rover says the can not fix it they have to replace the whole thing. No matter what gear your in you can hear the torque converter, d,p,r,neutral. I have heard of rovers having computer glitches but how could i tell if they are lying.

Trans issues

this is a common problem with all range rovers from 03-05, these trans do not get serviced at the dealer and do not requre any fluids they are sealed for life.. What happends is the radiator will clogg up and over heat the trans, This noise that you hear is the trans pump going out it usually is heard durring start up or acceleration, and once warmed up most will not move at all.. Even with a flush, a trans and a radiator will fix this problem

tranny issues

i purchased an 05 RR a month ago two weeks into ownership tranny began slipping
    and engine revving high once warm.
    Stealer said it needed a trans and I reluctantly authorized replacement.
    The out of town dealer I purchased the vehicle from would do nothing of course!
    Car has been back two weeks and again once warm starts over revving and slipping
    again trans overheat message displayed.
    I wait 20 minutes start car and drive home almost 30 miles no problem...
    Did the stealer not flush trans cooler or radiator? Was it a filter,flush and cooler
    problem to start with?
    Yes I'm aware these late trans' are supposed to be lifetime fill but this is ridiculous!
    last query is trans cooler in radiator? Or seperate? much thanks Bert

Answered my own question ,next! Where is the fill for auto trans L322 Range Rover

A found a 2003RR in really good shape so I just want to make sure the trans is okay, From what I can understand the trans will go bad and never recover, So as long as the car I'm looking is Drivable the Trans is okay...??

Okay at the moment that is, May fail later..

Is anyway to "Open" this trans, install a oil cooler, whatever it takes to make it more dependable or is just the Luck of the draw kind of thing.

First don't add a reply/question on a 4 year old thread. Post a question and start fresh.
    Not all trannys go bad. If the tranny has been service, every 30,000 miles or so, it should be fine. I realize Rover says to not service them but, every 100,000 miles, this in not good for any tranny.
    If you want this truck, test drive it, have the fluid checked and check for codes.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    First don't add a reply/question on a 4 year old thread. Post a question and start fresh.
    Sorry Mike at the motorcycles forums I frequent is customary to post on a already going thread if the posting is related to you issue (To keep everything organize and less clutter) Then again we have about 20 new threads per day/per model.

Also I have no idea this was a few years old since it was on the first page, I just assume it was not older than a week or so.

Not all trannys go bad. If the tranny has been service, every 30,000 miles or so, it should be fine. I realize Rover says to not service them but, every 100,000 miles, this in not good for any tranny.
    As long as they can be open up and service is fine with me, specially if a problem can be avoid it.
    If you want this truck, test drive it, have the fluid checked and check for codes.
    We are going to test drive it tomorrow afternoon, but I like to go prepare so I can recognize certain "Not so aparent" problems.
    Last edited by patineto; 06-06-2011 at 05:56 PM.

If you have any questions after the test drive, lets talk.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm