Thread: OBD2 Code P1316 96 Discovery

OBD2 Code P1316 96 Discovery

Christmas Eve and Santa gave me an engine warning light. I used my generic code reader and produced a P1316. Further research on mfr's detailed code on the Internet said I had a problems with my #6 fuel injector. Please share with me your wisdom on next steps. Should I turn off the light and assume it was an intermittent event? Should I go about replacing the injector? Is the use of an injector cleaner recommended? About a month ago, I used a can of Sea Foam. Could that of dislodged some material? I have always found salvation on this site. By the way, I know this can be a serious problem because several years ago I bought and repaired a 300ZX that had an engine fire caused by a faulty fuel injector.
    Jerry

P1316 is for an excessive emmisions fault. It does not point to #6 cylinder.

DO NOT START THROWING PARTS AT IT!

Clear the code and check your plugs and wires. The CORRECT plugs are CHEAP, plain old Champions. Anything else is a waste of money, don't listen to anyone saying otherwise. Good wires are required, but you don't need to break the bank there either. Kingsbourne makes a great wire reasonable, you don't need $100 wires.

There isn't much else in a GEMS truck, just the coil pack. Start it up and open the hood while it's dark out, do you see sparks from the plug wires jumping to ground?

In the shop, doing the Lord's work, one broken Rover at a time!
    Osiris is on the right track.

How old are the ignition parts on this truck?

Champion 322 is your friend, gap at 0.035.

If the misfires continue after renewing the plugs and wires, we'll look closer.
    Wrenchin' to Riches

DBA P T Schram Rover Repair, Churubusco, IN USA

P1316 Misfires

I changed out the plugs about 18 months ago. I changed no other ignition parts. I appreciate the immediate, direct, and simple approach. I will follow it. Thanks. Jerry

In the shop, doing the Lord's work, one broken Rover at a time!
    Check the service schedule for your truck, you might find the plugs are to be replaced fairly frequently-they're cheap and important.

18 months might be the lifetime for some plugs.

Don't put fancy plugs in this truck, cheapie Autolite or Champions.
    Wrenchin' to Riches

DBA P T Schram Rover Repair, Churubusco, IN USA

P1316 OBD2 Code Gone

Followed the advice given. Replaced plugs and wires. Deleted code. All is good as I stand by. Plugs and wires needed changing. Thanks for your help.
    Jerry