Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04 DII: Check Engine Code P0441: Evap Incorr Purge Flow

04 DII: Check Engine Code P0441: Evap Incorr Purge Flow

Spending some time with my family's 04 DII during my vacation this week; it has 81,000 miles.

Things to fix:

- Front window regulator roller; replaced it once and now roller broke again and window is off track.

- A bigger project Head Gasket job; probably won't get to this till early next year when I finish completing my parts and tool list and plan of attack.

- Next (hope to get to this one fixed during vacation) - check engine light came-on related to Evap Purge Valve this week.

Pluged my OBDII reader and it reads P0441: Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Flow.

I just finished registration renewal and tag is good till Dec 2010; smog will not be req till next renewal so I have a bit of time to fix this problem, but want to resolve it sooner than later.

Searched the forum for P0441; found one member w/a 04 DII like mine (Gem) who ran into the same check engine code, but his thread was not conclusive on the actual fix. I just posted and asked Gem if he was able to resolve it.

I researched the evap purge valve on my Rave CD for DIIs, and found this picture (see attached).

Also potential problems noted:

If the purge valve breaks or becomes stuck in the open or closed position, the EVAP system will cease to function
    and there are no default measures available. The ECM will store the fault in memory and illuminate the MIL warning
    lamp if the correct monitoring conditions have been achieved (i.e. valve status unchanged for 45 seconds after engine
    has been running for 15 minutes). If the purge valve is stuck in the open position, a rich air:fuel mixture is likely to
    result at the intake manifold, this could cause the engine to misfire and the fuelling adaptions will change.
    The following failure modes are possible:

- Sticking valve
    - Valve blocked
    - Connector or harness wiring fault (open or short circuit)
    - Valve stuck open

My guess is that mine is stuck, and time to replace it.

Questions:

1) Before I pull the trigger or toss money on part(s), is replacing the purge valve the fix to P0441?

2) Rave CD diagram points to where to find this purge valve is found but the diagram is not clear to me (see attached), can someone point me to where this purge valve is located ion my 04?

My Rave CD covers up to 2002 DII and perhaps the actual diagram is diff for my 04 DII or I am just not looking hard enough. Can't seem to find this purge valve as illustrated in Rave CD.

3) I think I found the replacement part on Atlantic British for $84.95: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/WTV000060G.cfm; can someone confirm this?

The AB part looks like this:

4) Can you suggest any other place to get this part for less?

5) Any special procedures for removing and install?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evap Engine Diagram.jpg  
    Last edited by RonCT110; 12-24-2009 at 02:25 PM.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

Found It

Found it in the same area Rave pointed it out.

It was under the Secondary Air Injection and didn't see it right away @ quick glance.

Too much spiked punch I suppose when I was initially looking for it.

Anyways, found it, and got the 90 degree side off.

Before I start attempting to remove the other end (see pic/circled in red), wanted to know if there is any special trick to removing the fittings?

If it's twist off, might have to get my wife to help me; my hands barely fit in the back there. If i have to pinch it like the 90 degree end, I better get some advil and "patience" on - gonna be a long afternoon.

Compared to my RRC, I have a lot of room to work on. Seems Land Rover egnineers didn't have "easily service-able by owners" in mind when designing newer LRs including the DIIs.

I also read Hyundai part # 28910-22040 purge control valve is compatible; has anyone here experimented w/this Hyundai part?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTV000060G.jpg  
    Last edited by RonCT110; 12-27-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Tread Lightly Trainer

In the shop, doing the Lord's work, one broken Rover at a time!
    Alright, first off, they do get plugged, but they also get disconnected electrically, the gas cap is left loose, etc. There are many reasons for this code, let's not jump to conclusions.

Secondly, to disconnect the hose from the intake, there are two styles of connectors. One where you need to pinch both sides to release and one where you just need to push the gray piece toward the center of the hose.

I can get the parts, but my UK supplier is closed until the fourth of January on Holiday.
    Wrenchin' to Riches

DBA P T Schram Rover Repair, Churubusco, IN USA

Thanks ptschram!

I got the other end off; like you said just need to push the gray piece towards the center of the hose. Thanks!

The 90 degree end was the easier part, and pinched the connector and was able to remove it earlier today.

Also I checked for loose gas cap, and elec pin connector to the purge valve. Gas cap is on tight, and elec connector to valve is on/tight, and no visible damage both to the wires/connector pins, and even checked the hose.

If I am not able to get the part this week, I will reach out after the New Year and order it from you.

Thanks again!

PS - nice workshop you have there; saw you on the vid "Insearch of the Experience" by Elias.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0060.JPG  
    Last edited by RonCT110; 12-26-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Tread Lightly Trainer

In the shop, doing the Lord's work, one broken Rover at a time!
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCT110 View Post
    If I am not able to get the part this week, I will reach out after the New Year and order it from you.

Thanks again!

PS - nice workshop you have there; saw you on the vid "Insearch of the Experience" by Elias.
    Thanx! It only took me 40 years to get a shop like this one. The last one was nice, but didn't have the ambience of the new one-that was made around the time of the civil war.

Making that documentary was a LOT of fun!
    Wrenchin' to Riches

DBA P T Schram Rover Repair, Churubusco, IN USA

Well, I decided to try the Hyundai part # 28910-22040; there is Hyundai dealership 10 mins from my house. Got there yesterday a few mins before closing - picked up the part for $33.71 + tax.

It was already dark when I got home last night - decided put the replacement job till this morning.

With that said, got up early today, tackled the replacement job by removing the old purge valve and old hose clamps from the hose, plugged the Hyundai part in and put on new hose clamps. And then installed the new purge valve and hose all together back.

Pic 1 - Old and New Parts look identical including the pin connector. One on the right is the old purge valve (you can tell by the dirt/dust marks).

Pic 2 - To remove the old and install the new, it was easier for me to work on this job by unplugging the other electrical connections (circled yellow) around the purge valve (circled blue), and also moving the wiring harness and hose out of the way (circled yellow). Gave me a lil more room to work on an already very tight space.

Pic 3 - After the install, fired up the engine. Cleared the code. And watched the hose for any leaks. So far so good = none.

Pic 4 - Drove it around this morning. Check engine light didn't appear.

I will keep an eye on it this week and will report back.

Edit: you don't have to take the hose like I did if all you are replacing is the valve; I took the hose/valve out initially with plans to replace it with the AB part complete w/new hoses. Hyundai part is just the valve; just need new hose clamps to replace the old stock crimp on type.

Next, time to work on my the front window; window is off the track due to a broken roller on the regular... More on this on a diff thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 Look Alike.JPG   2 Installed.JPG   3 Cleared Codes.JPG   4 No Check Engine Light.JPG  
    Last edited by RonCT110; 12-28-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer

Glad you got sorted it out.

Happy New Year!
    [/SIGPIC]Enrique, Susie, Sebastian 12 & Isabel 4yrs old.

Mexxi's Restaurant & Catering.
    Catering to the farthest corner of the planet, in a Land Rover, of course!

Land Rover stable:
    1962 IIA 109 Reg. in resurrection process.
    1992 RRC SOLD
    1998 Disco I with a peppy 4.6
    2006 LR3 HSE

Thanks Enrique!

I read your post re: needing help w/the 4.0 to 4.6 conversion; hope you get it sorted out.

Will be sweet to drive it up the mtns when all fine tuned/sorted out, see you at the Shaver Lake Snow run!
    Last edited by RonCT110; 12-28-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer

this looks like the same bocsh part audi and vw uses. i fought this on my audi a bit aswell. the code wont come on immediately, as the system only checks for leaks at very specific times. not full or empty tanks is usually when. i found that if you can blow through the suspected valve (n80) its stuck open and will cause that code. with an audi vag-comm i can force a test on that component, not so much with the rover stuff. hope this helps. stellar find on the hundai part though. thats kinda handy.
    02 DII SE7
    00 A6 Avant shaved
    98 wolfsberg on staggered steel

Smile

Thanks, RonCT110! This really helps! I have the same code P0441 on my 03 Disc II... Went to the dealer, and after spending $125 for diagnosis, I was told to replace the purge valve WTV000060, and quoted me $121 for part and $250 for labor for total $371. I am going to the autozone to see if they carry the valve. (I don't intend to replace the hoses.) Thanks again!