Spending some time with my family's 04 DII during my vacation this week; it has 81,000 miles.
Things to fix:
- Front window regulator roller; replaced it once and now roller broke again and window is off track.
- A bigger project Head Gasket job; probably won't get to this till early next year when I finish completing my parts and tool list and plan of attack.
- Next (hope to get to this one fixed during vacation) - check engine light came-on related to Evap Purge Valve this week.
Pluged my OBDII reader and it reads P0441: Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Flow.
I just finished registration renewal and tag is good till Dec 2010; smog will not be req till next renewal so I have a bit of time to fix this problem, but want to resolve it sooner than later.
Searched the forum for P0441; found one member w/a 04 DII like mine (Gem) who ran into the same check engine code, but his thread was not conclusive on the actual fix. I just posted and asked Gem if he was able to resolve it.
I researched the evap purge valve on my Rave CD for DIIs, and found this picture (see attached).
Also potential problems noted:
If the purge valve breaks or becomes stuck in the open or closed position, the EVAP system will cease to function
and there are no default measures available. The ECM will store the fault in memory and illuminate the MIL warning
lamp if the correct monitoring conditions have been achieved (i.e. valve status unchanged for 45 seconds after engine
has been running for 15 minutes). If the purge valve is stuck in the open position, a rich air:fuel mixture is likely to
result at the intake manifold, this could cause the engine to misfire and the fuelling adaptions will change.
The following failure modes are possible:
- Sticking valve
- Valve blocked
- Connector or harness wiring fault (open or short circuit)
- Valve stuck open
My guess is that mine is stuck, and time to replace it.
1) Before I pull the trigger or toss money on part(s), is replacing the purge valve the fix to P0441?
2) Rave CD diagram points to where to find this purge valve is found but the diagram is not clear to me (see attached), can someone point me to where this purge valve is located ion my 04?
My Rave CD covers up to 2002 DII and perhaps the actual diagram is diff for my 04 DII or I am just not looking hard enough. Can't seem to find this purge valve as illustrated in Rave CD.
3) I think I found the replacement part on Atlantic British for $84.95: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/WTV000060G.cfm; can someone confirm this?
The AB part looks like this:
4) Can you suggest any other place to get this part for less?
5) Any special procedures for removing and install?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.