Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pissing out Coolant - but from where???

Pissing out Coolant - but from where???

I was topping off my coolant-which seemed exceptionally low for the time that had passsed since last checking it - about a half inch on the resevoir in less than a month.

I topped off, and ran the truck at idle for about 5 minutes, let it warm up and it starts dropping a steady bit of coolant out the bottom - like a puppy peeing on my driveway.

The problem is I cannot tell where the heck it's coming from.

As far as I can tell, I may be coming from somewhere near the top/back of the engine block (see diagram attached), but I cannot get any sort of good view.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diagram note.JPG  

Get a mirror and look at the back of the valley pan gasket. You may find it leaking from the corner on each side.
    Larry K.
    Millstadt ,IL
    2011 LR4 HSE LUX

Just go do a coolant pressure test, no big deal to find the problem.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Mike / Larry,

Will do.

Assuming it is the valley pan gasket, what am I getting myself into with that?
    It sounds intimidating.

-Mike

How many miles on your truck, head gaskets ever been done?
    Probably will find you need both.
    With a little patience and a manual, it is not that hard to do.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

120K miles. I expect it's time do the heads too - I am VERY nervous about it.

Mike,
    Did you see my PM to you? Give me a ring when you can.

Thanks.

If you've done small block Chevy, Ford, etc. not any harder. Dive in, just be careful with the electrical connections.
    Larry K.
    Millstadt ,IL
    2011 LR4 HSE LUX

I've never done any head gaskets - ever.

I trust you folks that this can be done - even by me; but this is WAY outside of my comfort zone. Maybe all the more reason to do it.

I tried using a mirror for a better look, but just cannot get a good view back there, even with the mirror.

Attached is what I can see - which corresponds to where it's dripping down underneath. After topping off my resevoir and letting it idle for a few, this area was a little puddle of coolant.

I'm still going to do a pressure test, but need the correct size fitting for the resevoir.

But I don't understand how the test will tell me Where the leak is coming from.
    Won't it at best tell me I have a leak "back there somewhere"?

I am willing to do the valley & head gaskets but just want to be really sure I'm doing surgery in the right place before begining.

Thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG4777.JPG   CIMG4778.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by sobieski View Post
    I was topping off my coolant-which seemed exceptionally low for the time that had passsed since last checking it - about a half inch on the resevoir in less than a month.

I topped off, and ran the truck at idle for about 5 minutes, let it warm up and it starts dropping a steady bit of coolant out the bottom - like a puppy peeing on my driveway.

The problem is I cannot tell where the heck it's coming from.

As far as I can tell, I may be coming from somewhere near the top/back of the engine block (see diagram attached), but I cannot get any sort of good view.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Pressure test system
    Are you sure it is not coming out of the expansion tank overflow tube ?
    Possible head gasket leak

I don't think it's the overflow tube, but I don't know what I don't know (that's why I appreciate this forum so much!!!).

See the pic.

And if it Is or Is Not a head gasket, at 120,000 miles, I will likely replace anyway while getting to the valley gasket - if we can conclude that is probably the culprit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cooling system.JPG