Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ABS MODULATOR FIX (NO more SVS fault)

Quote Originally Posted by midessa7 View Post
    Hi everyone, I did this repair in Nov.and it was easy. Don't wrap your head around the axle about this whole technical thing, it's not. Just follow directions.

midesa7
    2000 DII 102,000mi, no more three amigos
    Good to hear midesa7; when you measured the resistance on the SVS both from the modular side (9 and 6 pin), and directly on the 2 pin plug, did it pass (was it within range) or fail. Where there any visible connection problem on the SVS, pins, circuit board?

Trying to connect the dots for me in finding visible connection problem or measurable resistance problem, and having to do option B.

Or the resistance test is just for the SVS, and the intermittent problem I am having is due to iffy solder on SVS circuit board and just do option B to fix it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by RonCT110; 01-08-2010 at 09:01 AM.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

I tapped around on the ABS unit w/a rubber mallet (both soft and mild blows), and didn't get intermittent connection (see page 2 of 17): http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/brakes/absmod.pdf

I even wiggled the two pins in the modular side (seems solid pin) while I have my meter/tester hooked up on it and on pin 9 and then 6 on the other end, and got continuous connections.

Re: my particular problem, my bet is on a sticky SVS switch so I am ordering a new one.

My DII has 81,000 and can imagine such mechanical switch (specially I wheel this DII a bit) going up and down will eventually wear out/fail w/ABS doing its job.

Part # ABS Modulator Shuttle Valve Repair Kit SWO500030 $64.95 less 10% AB Discount.

Will see what happens after the installl and road test.
    Last edited by RonCT110; 01-05-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer

ABS fix

RonCT110, I'll be honest I was so fet up with my three amigos coming on so much that when I did the job I didn't even test for continuity, I just pulled out the modulator and took it apart and looked at the pins, that looked solid but I soldered them anyways and went ahead and did the rewiring also. put it back in bled the brakes with new synthetic fluid and took it out in the woods for about 30min with the HDC on then off then just in low and then just regular high and nothing came like it usually dose after about five minutes if that. Sorry about the rant, good luck.

midessa7

Hey midessa7, sounds like a good call on your part; looks to be your "three amigos" problem are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by midessa7 View Post
    RonCT110, I'll be honest I was so fet up with my three amigos coming on so much that when I did the job I didn't even test for continuity, I just pulled out the modulator and took it apart and looked at the pins, that looked solid but I soldered them anyways and went ahead and did the rewiring also. put it back in bled the brakes with new synthetic fluid and took it out in the woods for about 30min with the HDC on then off then just in low and then just regular high and nothing came like it usually dose after about five minutes if that. Sorry about the rant, good luck.

midessa7

Tread Lightly Trainer

New SVS Kit is in

Ordered it Tuesday from AB (they have a warehouse in Reno, NV) and got it yesterday Thursday.

New SVS is now bolted onto the ABS modulator unit; installed it last night after work.

Prior, tested new SVS = pass or within range (got 3.0 = open, 2.0 = one switch closed, 1.0 = both closed)

Kit came with a new SVS and new bolts; Rave said to torque the bolts to 3 ft-lbs.

Quick observation on the new SVS = rubber boots are more bouncy vs my old ones stiff, switch feels more solid (you can hear the clicks as you quickly press down on them) vs old ones are spongy.

After bolting it on the modular, tested it again via pins on the modular. Passed.

While at it, sprayed all the wiring contacts both on the modular and vehicle w/electronic cleaner.

Now just need to re-install the whole unit back onto the DII tommorrow, plus bleed the brakes (need to pick-up 3 pints of DOT4 fluids) and see if my three amigos go away. I have to borrow an ABS scanner to clear the codes from the vehicle's memory, but if all is good, I should not get the Three Amigos even if the error code is still in memory.

Note: Option B didn't req removable of the ABS brake lines, but I disconnected them anyways. Didn't want to poss stretch or damage the brake lines, and it was hard to access the SVS cover plate bolts w/o taking the whole unit off the brake lines. Plus didn't want to strip the SVS cover plate bolts, and I don't mind bleeding the brakes (the vehicle needed it anyways).

I think if you've done it often enough like Josh, makes a diff and can get away w/o removing the brake lines.

Anyways, for me, easier to work on and better leverage w/the whole unit out.

Again, thanks for the write-up/thread details Josh; allowed me to take this apart with confidence
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0262.JPG   DSC_0263.JPG   DSC_0265.JPG  
    Last edited by RonCT110; 01-08-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer

Knock on plastic, I re-installed the ABS unit back on the DII w/the new SVS kit yesterday.

Re-connected all the brakes lines and electrical connections.

Then bled the brakes starting with Rear Right, Rear Left, Front Right and then Front Left. 3 pints of DOT4 brake fluid. While my 7 year old was doing the pumping and holding.

Only been 2 days; will see!
    Last edited by RonCT110; 01-10-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Tread Lightly Trainer

Abs

RonCon110, good to hear, should work out great. I put my 11yr old behind the wheel also for a little pump action when I was doing it.

midessa7

Finally got around to doing this fix. Thanks to Josh aka Jycsalas and his great write-up.
    I chose "option B" as my fix. My 3 Amigo fault codes were 114: shuttle valve electric failure. They were faulting more frequently but always reset after turnig off ignition then on again...very annoying. Even though the existing SVS checked out good I went ahead and replaced it with a new one since I'm going through the trouble.

I found by pulling the brake lines away from the loom on the fire wall gave me lots of room to work with. The lines were plenty flexible but I was careful not to move them to the point of kinking them. Plenty of room for using a small rachet with a 4mm allen attached to it but I didn't have the socket so I used a short allen wrench. screws were on tight due to the loc-tite on them so it took some time, patience and many short turns to loosen them...not fun but looking forward to NO more Amigos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1138.JPG   IMG_1139.JPG   IMG_1151.JPG   IMG_1152.JPG  
    Last edited by roverDII; 01-13-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Just a quick update on the ABS MOD/SVS fix. Went out for a mild trail run up in Big Bear yesterday and found a few good spots to test out the ABS, TC, HDC. It performed flawlessly! And NO visit from the 3 Amigos. Very happy with this fix!

I have only taken out my modulator twice.... LOL

I just documented the different ways it could be done.

I didn't find ONE way easier. It all depends on if you need to bleed the brakes or not. If you don't, then maybe you do the repair without taking the whole thing out. if you DO need to bleed them, then remove it all. But hey, at least we have options!

GLAD EVERYTHING WORKED OUT FOR YOU GUYS!
    ~Josh
    2003 Discovery S (64k miles)
    www.landroverclubvi.com
    Mods: Oil Pressure Gauge, ScanGaugeII, CDL, Electric CDL Actuator, RoverRacks Rear ladder, Limb Risers, ToddCo Front Drive Shaft, DI Wiper Arms, G4 Upper Rear Lamp Guards, No Amigos since 11/09

Coming soon: Install Greg Davis rear bumper, Replace 4 ball joints, Replace belt tensioners and pulleys.

For the future: .... wait and see....