Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ABS MODULATOR FIX (NO more SVS fault)

warranty work...

Ron, the warranty should still be good. I just don't have the time to drive it south an hour away to have it looked at right now. It's my daily driver and I barely get time to do basic repairs etc. unless I take it locally. I will certainly call him again and get it in asap. I have a feeling its going to be more than the bumped sensor etc. Just my luck with this rig for the past few years AND just when I'm disgusted, someone walks up to me and comments how much they like the look of the DII etc. Makes me proud! haha.

Abs

Guys I'm still a little lost as to when soldering the pins. I think it was yuberts photo. He shows a photo with a plug and two pins and then the next photo is a plug with the sides trimmed off and the pins soldered. Now are you removing the old pins and just soldering in new wire or are you just putting the soldering iron to those pins and just melting them down.

thanks, midessa7

2000 DII 99,000mi
    2" Big Blue lift w/32" Hankook dynapros
    Roxstar front bumper
    IDA X100 Alpine

Quote Originally Posted by midessa7 View Post
    Guys I'm still a little lost as to when soldering the pins. I think it was yuberts photo. He shows a photo with a plug and two pins and then the next photo is a plug with the sides trimmed off and the pins soldered. Now are you removing the old pins and just soldering in new wire or are you just putting the soldering iron to those pins and just melting them down.

thanks, midessa7
    Did you read the write-up??
    ~Josh
    2003 Discovery S (64k miles)
    www.landroverclubvi.com
    Mods: Oil Pressure Gauge, ScanGaugeII, CDL, Electric CDL Actuator, RoverRacks Rear ladder, Limb Risers, ToddCo Front Drive Shaft, DI Wiper Arms, G4 Upper Rear Lamp Guards, No Amigos since 11/09

Coming soon: Install Greg Davis rear bumper, Replace 4 ball joints, Replace belt tensioners and pulleys.

For the future: .... wait and see....

UPDATED Write-up

UPDATED TO INCLUDE STRAIGHT WIRING OF THE SVS.... AND REMOVING THE MODULATOR SIDE OF THE PUMP ONLY...

Sorry its all on one page but I feel that anyone performing this job should read through all 50 steps first....
    ~Josh
    2003 Discovery S (64k miles)
    www.landroverclubvi.com
    Mods: Oil Pressure Gauge, ScanGaugeII, CDL, Electric CDL Actuator, RoverRacks Rear ladder, Limb Risers, ToddCo Front Drive Shaft, DI Wiper Arms, G4 Upper Rear Lamp Guards, No Amigos since 11/09

Coming soon: Install Greg Davis rear bumper, Replace 4 ball joints, Replace belt tensioners and pulleys.

For the future: .... wait and see....

ABS modulator

Thanks I just read it again. I am dumb you know.

Thanks

LNDRV99, don't give up yet; take it to the same mechanic who did the brake job and say "the three amigos came on" after going over a speed bump since he did the brakes. Speed bump could have "bumped" something loose e.g. ABS sensor or something. Also did you mention that the same mechanic replaced the ABS modulator - is it still under work warranty?

It is out of warrant and I will be taking it to the same mechanic. I told him about the problem and he said to bring it down again and he'll hook it up to the computer. If it simply a wheel sensor, can they get unseated/unsealed by a simple bump to the axle and cause a fault where there is generally nothing wrong with it? I wish I could simply deactivate the whole damned system. THIS is why I don't like electronics. These DII's are formidable off road vehicles when CDL and TC is working together but when one fails, I can't get over a simple rock/boulder..haha...

Red face Update

Well, I took my vehicle to the LR mechanic that I use and he hooked it up to the computer. 3 faults came up, don't know which numbers, but the problem lies in the LEFT DRIVER side hub/abs sensor. So...I will bringing it in to him after the holiday's when I find, miracuously, MORE cash to do MORE work on my "rig". I love her so...BUT, I look at the other side of the lot and there is a 2" OME lifted 99' DII like mine in blue with 25,000 miles less than mine, a safari gard bumper (no winch) and an Adventure Rack plus it's a SE7 with the rear seats. It was in a front end accident with no frame damage and a new nose was put on with the updated lights. Inside looks better than mine and he is doing a tranny job on it and it had a head gasket job done last year. I'm so tempted to purchase this one and sell mine for whatever I can get...your opinions would help. I do plan on buying a Hannibal rack and do a lift but not able to right now....asking 6k for the blue 99.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCT110 View Post
    Excellent work Josh. Takes time and effort to document work, and even to share - thank you for your work and contribution.
    Hey Josh,

I finally had the chance early this afternoon to apply what you've written-up here; I decided to tackle the Three Amigos problem!

The three amigos visited me last month December; there is no freq when 3 lights comes on.

In Dec, I would be riving for miles w/no three amigos coming up, and then all of a sudden ola amigos. Goes away after turning off and on the engine. Then will be days or miles till it comes back on. Turn off engine, three amigo lights go away. Repeat.

Had the code read, and error code is similar to your write-up - pointing to Shuttle Valve switch problem.

With this error code and your write-up, I marched on to tackle this problem, and thanks for details, gave me needed and confidence to test the SVS.

On with testing...

First, I unbolted the ABS unit and followed your instructions for option B

Measured the resistance from the modulator side like in your illustration (using pin 9 and 6):

My SVS both open (mine = 3.01/passed), one switched closed (mine=2.01/passed), and both switched closed (mine=1.01/passed)

And just for grins, I also measured the resistance from the SVS plug like in your illustration:
    [IMG]http://www.landroverclubvi.com/uploads/2/3/9/8/2398536/8508079.jpg?600
    [/IMG]

SVS passed all three combinations from the two pin plug also.

Questions:

1) Fact that my Shuttle Valve Switch resistance are within range, does it mean the connection is good?

2) Or would I need to apply the fix in option B (as you illustrated) because truly the pins on the circuit board is iffy despite passing the resistance test:

3) Or perhaps the SVS gets stuck once in a while despite passing resistance test, and I just need to replace the SVS. Don't know? I found the kit @ Altantic British for less then $70.

I don't really want to cut into the wires if truly what I need is a new SVS kit.

Side note, I inspected the rubber boots on the SVS and they are in good condition (no visible tear). And when I pulled them out, the internal switches are dry from brake fluids (my guess rubber boots are good).

4) Or could it be something else?

Pls advice; thanks again!
    Last edited by RonCT110; 01-04-2010 at 07:27 AM.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

LNDRVR99, hope all is well.

Getting the other Rover doesn't guarantee problem free; you might run other problems like the three amigos again many others... Plus front end damage - who knows what really happened.

If you already poured lots of money on your current Land Rover, I'd would just stick with it IMO.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by LNDRVR99 View Post
    Well, I took my vehicle to the LR mechanic that I use and he hooked it up to the computer. 3 faults came up, don't know which numbers, but the problem lies in the LEFT DRIVER side hub/abs sensor. So...I will bringing it in to him after the holiday's when I find, miracuously, MORE cash to do MORE work on my "rig". I love her so...BUT, I look at the other side of the lot and there is a 2" OME lifted 99' DII like mine in blue with 25,000 miles less than mine, a safari gard bumper (no winch) and an Adventure Rack plus it's a SE7 with the rear seats. It was in a front end accident with no frame damage and a new nose was put on with the updated lights. Inside looks better than mine and he is doing a tranny job on it and it had a head gasket job done last year. I'm so tempted to purchase this one and sell mine for whatever I can get...your opinions would help. I do plan on buying a Hannibal rack and do a lift but not able to right now....asking 6k for the blue 99.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

ABS Repair

Hi everyone, I did this repair in Nov.and it was easy. Don't wrap your head around the axle about this whole technical thing, it's not. Just follow directions.

midesa7
    2000 DII 102,000mi, no more three amigos