Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connected a Scan Gauge II and it works

connected a Scan Gauge II and it works

This weekend, I purchased a Scan Gauge II, and to my surprise, it appears to work quite well on my 2005 LR3.

Most of the built in gauge functions work with no fooling around. I have volts, water temperature, engine rpm, vacuum, (MAP, manifold absolute pressure), speed in either mph or kph, instaneous fuel usage in litres per hour or I suppose gallons per hour as well.

There are a number of other display items, however one can only display 4 at a time.

I have the head mounted sort of on top of the steering wheel shaft but actually rearward touching the plastic bezel of the instrument panel display. Looks not too bad and is very readable.

The cable runs from the OBD port down by my left leg sort of behind the knee panel and out under the steering wheel shaft "hole" and up the right side of the shaft. Looks OK, in that not much of the cable is visible.

About all that I have determined so far is that the round speedometer, at least from where I view it, reads from 2 to 3 kph low. I noticed this first from the speed readout of the Scan Gauge, and then I did the 1791 thing re the Navigation and that display showed about the same +or- 1, as the Scan Gauge. I suppose it should as I assume the data source is from the same place - the vehicle computer.

I then got out my Trimble GPS and my Blackberry and compared their speed readouts to the OBS stuff. There was pretty much agreement from the Trimble and BlackBerry with the Nav and Scan Gauge. As such, I wondered if the speedometer is out or was it just the angle, (parallax) that I look at it.

My next test will be to find out if the vehicle miles readout is accurate, (or reading high). I have been wondering about this as I am getting what I think is pretty good mileage on the highway, (approx 21 miles/US gallon) at +70mph speeds using 91 octane gasoline. I have the stock GYear HP 19" tyres installed. Since the OBD readouts seem correct, I expect the mileage displays correctly and re the speed, it is either the calibration of, or parallax related to the round speedometer that leads me to think there is an accuracy problem.

Regarding fuel consumption, the Scan Gauge instaneous fuel readout suggests that the engine consumes about 1/2 litre per hour more fuel when the vehicle is stopped and in gear, (D) than if one shifts to N when stopped. That is about 50 cents an hour, so I doubt that would be the way to save for a brake job.

I wondered if anyone else has the Scan Gauge and what their experiences were.

One reading that appears to be not available is Engine Oil pressure. For some reason, that value does not seem to be available from any OBD for any vehicle, let alone an LR3. Transmission Oil Temperature may be available, however I have not figured that out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bbyer View Post
    and then I did the 1791 thing re the Navigation and that display showed about the same +or- 1, as the Scan Gauge.

I've only used the "1791 thing" to allow putting in destination while in-motion....does it allow us to see other things via the NAV display? Please share....

actually it is 753 or 9447

Now that I think of it, the code for getting into the gps / nav data screens is both 753 and or 9447; they both yield the same output screen.

What you get when you type in say, 9447 and push enter, is a screen that gives you three buttons that yield three alternate choices, only two which seem to yield anything that I regard as of value.

If you push the GPS button, you get data related to the satellites that your antenna is seeing.

If you push the Vehicle, (or some similar wording button), you get the display that shows vehicle speed in both mph and kph, lat and long, bearing, and a few other things that I do not necessarily understand - offsets and voltages related to the gyro.

Mid-Atlantic State, Tidewater Area - Chesapeake, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by bbyer View Post
    This weekend, I purchased a Scan Gauge II, and to my surprise, it appears to work quite well on my 2005 LR3.

Most of the built in gauge functions work with no fooling around. I have volts, water temperature, engine rpm, vacuum, (MAP, manifold absolute pressure), speed in either mph or kph, instaneous fuel usage in litres per hour or I suppose gallons per hour as well.

There are a number of other display items, however one can only display 4 at a time.

I have the head mounted sort of on top of the steering wheel shaft but actually rearward touching the plastic bezel of the instrument panel display. Looks not too bad and is very readable.

The cable runs from the OBD port down by my left leg sort of behind the knee panel and out under the steering wheel shaft "hole" and up the right side of the shaft. Looks OK, in that not much of the cable is visible.

About all that I have determined so far is that the round speedometer, at least from where I view it, reads from 2 to 3 kph low. I noticed this first from the speed readout of the Scan Gauge, and then I did the 1791 thing re the Navigation and that display showed about the same +or- 1, as the Scan Gauge. I suppose it should as I assume the data source is from the same place - the vehicle computer.

I then got out my Trimble GPS and my Blackberry and compared their speed readouts to the OBS stuff. There was pretty much agreement from the Trimble and BlackBerry with the Nav and Scan Gauge. As such, I wondered if the speedometer is out or was it just the angle, (parallax) that I look at it.

My next test will be to find out if the vehicle miles readout is accurate, (or reading high). I have been wondering about this as I am getting what I think is pretty good mileage on the highway, (approx 21 miles/US gallon) at +70mph speeds using 91 octane gasoline. I have the stock GYear HP 19" tyres installed. Since the OBD readouts seem correct, I expect the mileage displays correctly and re the speed, it is either the calibration of, or parallax related to the round speedometer that leads me to think there is an accuracy problem.

Regarding fuel consumption, the Scan Gauge instaneous fuel readout suggests that the engine consumes about 1/2 litre per hour more fuel when the vehicle is stopped and in gear, (D) than if one shifts to N when stopped. That is about 50 cents an hour, so I doubt that would be the way to save for a brake job.

I wondered if anyone else has the Scan Gauge and what their experiences were.

One reading that appears to be not available is Engine Oil pressure. For some reason, that value does not seem to be available from any OBD for any vehicle, let alone an LR3. Transmission Oil Temperature may be available, however I have not figured that out yet.
    I have a Scan Guage II in my Tundra and love it. I was thinking of another one for the LR3, glad you verified that it works. I like the guages and the ability to scan & clear codes. The trip function I hardly ever used.
    BJ
    Last edited by BadBonesBJ; 11-02-2009 at 05:06 PM.

'06 Land Rover LR3 Base 4.0L V6
    Java Black Pearl, SE Premium Pkg, Rear Seat & Climate Pkg, Cold Climate Pkg, Sirius Radio Pkg
    No HD Pkg somewhere in Chesapeake, VA
    ADDED:
    OEM:
    Brush Bar w/Bosch Fog Lights; Side Protector Molding; Sunroof Air Deflector
    WeatherTech: Vent Deflectors; Cargo Mat
    EGR: Clear Headlight Lens Protector; Smoke Hood Protector
    WheelSkins Two-Tone Lace-up Steering Wheel Cover
    Adj. Height Rod Kit @ 2" lift; 1.30" Wheel Spacers
    Fuzion XTi 285/60-18 All Terrain Tires, 5

have not tried to clear any codes

Fortunately I have not had any codes to try and clear, so I have not tried that function yet.

In realilty, about the only codes and the like that I would really like to get at are not OBD accessible, but instead need the Black Box peoples black box.

I would like to reprogram my headlight switch so that on Auto, I have the daytime running lights, but for all other switch postions, the DRL's stay off and the switch just does the stuff as if it were an old style manual pre computer light switch. I doubt however, that is even possible with any of the Black Box Solutions devices.

In other words, at night, sometimes I would like to run on just my fog lights with the park lights/tail lights illuminated.

ScanGauge II did turn off MIL light

For some reason, right after an oil change etc, my emission MIL light, (on the tach), illuminated yellow on the way back from the LR dealer. I did not have the ScanGauge connected at that time but later connected it and decided to see if it could at least read a code, and if so, perhaps even clear it.

Well the ScanGauge did read the code, P0000, which I gather is some sort of false alarm code. If someone knows what it really means, I would appreciate knowing.

Anyway, I pushed the Clear Codes button and after about 20 seconds, the MIL light went off and has so far stayed off - about a week now.

In my picture gallery, there is a jpg showing the ScanGauge mounted above the steering column of my LR3.
    2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; 18" x 10 spoke wheels; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion Fog light bulbs; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion device; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Upper liftgate cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented discs; 3 Blink signal light mod; Clock on the Dash; LR4 shorter hitch receiver; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav data update.

Scan Gauge

...how much did that sucker cost ya?

ScanGauge cost and setup

On their US website www.scangauge.com the price is about $US 170.00 but here in Canada, locally it cost me about $CDN 200.00

Setup is pretty easy; you have to tell it what engine you have, what units you want to use: US, Imperial, or Metric; fuel tank size, fuel type; all was within my limited abilities anyway.

I purchased the unit so that I could monitor engine coolant temperature and battery buss voltage. Engine temp seems to max out at about 197F and volts runs from 13.9 to 14.9 VDC.

There is a whole bunch of other stuff as well as error code reading, except that you do not want to need to do that. No Codes Found is what you want to see most of the time.

The special X gauge functions, I still have not figured out, but will get to them someday when I decide I need whatever that provides.

I do like the digital rpm as I use command shift a lot, and MAP, (manifold absolute pressure), a sort of vacuum gauge.

When installing, probably the big decision was what colour you want the background display to be, (963 choices apparently available). I normally prefer some colour of blue, however I chose the standard Green and it sort of matches the Land Rover LCD.

I suppose I could have fooled with the colour and got a perfect match but .... For brightness of the background, I chose Low, as High was too bright at night and low works fine in the day as well as night
    2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; 18" x 10 spoke wheels; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion Fog light bulbs; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion device; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Upper liftgate cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented discs; 3 Blink signal light mod; Clock on the Dash; LR4 shorter hitch receiver; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav data update.

Since you seem to have some of the dealer pass codes to get into the stock NAV system do you happen to know a code that will get you into the system to change the colors ?

The LR tech that always works on my LR3 was showing me something one day on the NAV and went into the system with what I thought was the 1791 bypass and started changing the colors. Dummy me did not ask him what code he punched in so when I got home that code was not it.

Colours, (2 choices), can be changed without a code.

You only have two screen colour choice settings and I might add that to me, there does not seem to be much difference between the two Colour Sets, they call them.

You can also vary contrast, and that does changes things a bit.

From the big Land Rover logo screen on startup, press the Driver Information hard key, (the right black button).

System Settings will then appear on the screen.

Choose the soft button called Screen Settings.

A screen called Display Settings should appear.

You will then see on the bottom of the screen, a "line with a slider mark" and a - and a + soft button. Press the - or + to adjust contrast.

Also you will see on the lower right side of the screen, two soft buttons labeled Set1 and Set 2. These are your two Colour Set choice buttons.

In otherwords, no secret codes required, and oh, the 1791 code is something I got off the forum here - those guys do know the secrets.