Thread: Pryor Mountains, Montana

Pryor Mountains, Montana

Has anyone done any off roading in the Pryor Mountains region of Montana? My wife is very interested in seeing the wild mustangs out there. Apparently there are some trails that require 4WD.
    Kevin
    KJ6IBK

2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
    2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Rack

There are some nice trails in Powell, WY and towards Red Lodge. Been through there quite a bit and occasionally stop for a short trail ride. Typical mountain jeep trails/roads. I did get to see some of the mustangs you speak off, really cool to see a herd just running through the valley. You'll need to stop by the BLM and get a permit to actually drive through the range. They only allow a certain amount of people in per day or something like that and want to know where you go and intend to do . Its closed right now to the public for what they call the Gather. Just in Sept, it will be posted on the BLM website when it reopens. Probably after Sept 26 which is adoption day. Yes, you heard right, you can actually adopt and take home one of these "wild" mustangs. They are only releasing 120 head back into the wild and they graze all the way from just west of Billings down through into western South Dakota. They are putting just over 1/4 of the herd up for adoption. Ya know, can't have too many wild mustangs running around.
    Last edited by Roveron; 09-07-2009 at 04:41 AM.
    88 RRC
    2002 RR 4.6 HSE

_o_o_o_o_
    |0_______0|
    [(O====O)]
    |//|........|//|
    |\\|-0--- |\\|
    |//|`````|//|

That's why she wants to go. Not to adopt, but there have been a lot of stories lately and a documentary about a particular herd and a stallion named "Cloud". It sounds like the horses are treated pretty bad during the round-up. I won't get into the politics of it all since I don't know the whole story...but as you said...I guess we don't want too many wild horses running around. Especially since we've already trimmed them down from over a million to somewhere around 25,000.
    Kevin
    KJ6IBK

2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
    2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Rack

I was up in that general area, including the wild horse preserve North of Cowley, Wy back in July. Great area to explore. There is also a pretty cool ice cave back in that area. There is a road labelled 7 1/2 that runs north out of Cowley and up into that area. It's marked as a 4WD trail and I agree. But it's not real extreme, at least as far as we got. We were in a bone stock S10 Blazer that handled it fine except for some cooling issues. We checked in with the BLM office in Cody Wy, they had maps of the area etc.