Thread: Fitted a Winch bar

Fitted a Winch bar

I have fitted an ARB winch bar, got it from a mate bought the installation kit from ARB, color coded the bar and spent some 16 hours installing it. (took my time). All up about half the cost of a new one.

While at it I also installed my Milemarker Hydraulic winch (had it on my old D3), I'll set it up in a couple of weeks.

All that will be left then will be a rear wheel carrier.

Way to go Richard. With all the threads over on the AU site about ARB install issues, I'm glad you just pulled the trigger instead of agonize about "compatibility issues" like many others. Post up some pix - I'd like to see the color match! Cheers!

I'll post some up on the weekend Dave, I'm leaving early tomorrow for a few days in the bush, an isolated spot we located a little while back. If I can get some worthwhile pics of our trip I'll post them too

There we are............... a couple of pics..............

firstly the winch bar, it was Zambesi Silver when I got it, so a cleanup and respray (myself) to match the D3, a new installation kit and some hours work the mile marker is fitted but the hydraulics are not hooked up yet, I want to modify some brackets

Another close up

Our bush camp from the front

And from the rear

The install looks great Richard! The color match looks right out of the ARB catalog. Here's a trick for installing your front license plate - use Mag Lite D-Cell wall mount brackets. I drilled the holes out and tapped the bracket to fit some stainless cap screws I had laying around then drilled holes to match in my plate. Red LocTite the screws and complete. The bracket fits perfectly on the fairlead rollers. Just snap on for city driving and pull off for work in the bush. The ARB mounting holes can prevent (mangle the plate) the cable from rolling off the top roller in steep angles. Plus, it's just cool!

Thanks for the tip Dave, I will add that to my list of things to do....................

It's nice to do a 5 dollar mod once in a while. Cheers!