Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Land Rover National Rally Colorado

Land Rover National Rally Colorado

Great event,

Wheeler Lake, Mosquito Pass and Weston Passhttp://cid-96ed6c75634cb425.skydrive...0Weston%20Pass

Halfmoon Creek and Iron Mike Mine
    http://cid-96ed6c75634cb425.skydrive...%20Mike%20Mine

Chinaman Gulch
    http://cid-96ed6c75634cb425.skydrive...tional%20Rally

My transfer case would not shift back from low range to high range in Moab after running a trail in Arches National Park, Moab, Utah and my 2 year old radiator decided to spring a leak.

Broke a fitting on my Fuel vapor separator running Chinaman Gulch on Saturday

Weston Pass at dusk because i was stuck in low range and wanted to avoid the highways at 45mph

Halfmoon Creek and Iron Mike Mine

Chinaman Gulch

Reminded me of the NCLR Blue Lakes Trip, not short on obstacles and......

wow...looks like a great trip! just curious, how did you get your xfr case to shift?

We heard about that flop on saturday at the dinner. JC's crew and I were like, "Where would it be possible to flip?" That is the ONLY spot I could think of. Except he went the opposite way.

Great pics, wish I had known it was you, we need to walk around with signs around our neck (usernames) so that we know who is who.

Seems like there was plenty of carnage to go around. We had 3 failures on Chinaman, Then McAllistor the trip leaders rear shock snapped. My bud from Az, ripped off his pass side mirror, and his sunroof broke, so now it leaks. The Inland Rovers supporter, (can't remember his name, big guy) his trailing arm broke or something. He was showing pics of it. But all in all, had a great time. The kids really liked it too. My daughter, all she has been saying is how much she wants me to buy her a disco and fix it up for her.
    Last edited by Roveron; 08-04-2009 at 05:04 AM.
    88 RRC
    2002 RR 4.6 HSE

_o_o_o_o_
    |0_______0|
    [(O====O)]
    |//|........|//|
    |\\|-0--- |\\|
    |//|`````|//|

In my backyard and I couldn't make it. Great pics.. From what I have heard it was a great time.. I still don't understand the flop there.. He must have been giving it hell. Awsome shots.. All trails I love!
    Aaron

"Life is to be lived.If you have to support yourself, you had bloddy well better find some way that is going to be interesting....And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself"
    -Katherine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by Roveron View Post
    We heard about that flop on saturday at the dinner. JC's crew and I were like, "Where would it be possible to flip?" That is the ONLY spot I could think of. Except he went the opposite way.

Great pics, wish I had known it was you, we need to walk around with signs around our neck (usernames) so that we know who is who.

Seems like there was plenty of carnage to go around. We had 3 failures on Chinaman, Then McAllistor the trip leaders rear shock snapped. My bud from Az, ripped off his pass side mirror, and his sunroof broke, so now it leaks. The Inland Rovers supporter, (can't remember his name, big guy) his trailing arm broke or something. He was showing pics of it. But all in all, had a great time. The kids really liked it too. My daughter, all she has been saying is how much she wants me to buy her a disco and fix it up for her.
    Roveron,
    I agree on the name tags, sorry i missed you at the rally (you came down for the John Bull SCLR run ?)
    Chinaman will certainly test most LR's ( it was a D90 that did a gentle flop after a tyre slipped sideways off the "notch")
    Enjoyed your photos

Quote Originally Posted by etcatmeat View Post
    wow...looks like a great trip! just curious, how did you get your xfr case to shift?
    Checked the obvious fuses, ended up removing the transfer case ratio motor, and engaging 4 high by turning spigot with vehicle in neutral (clockwise for high), did not initially replace the motor so the transfer case would slip into neutral. Reinstalled motor to hold spigot in place. Ran in low range for the rally (choose trails with few highway miles, used trials like Weston Pass as an alternative route back to Leadville, I left early for the Chinaman Gulch Trail head as i was limited to 45mph and did not want to hold up the group. Changed to high range for the drive home. I tried to replace the motor with a new one with no success, apparently may have to replace the ecu, which does not work on some older trucks
    I did check my "solution" and spoke with a friends Northern California LR shop and British car Services in LA while at the side of the freeway in case i had overlooked anything easy or obvious.
    Test book was not much help at the rally (more diagnostic ability on the 99 model and newer)
    tired grounding out the neutral selector switch pin 34 and pin 19 on the transfer case ecu with no luck.

chinaman isnt hard but with the wrong lines stuff can happen, all depends on the spotter driver connection there ...

who was your spotter? not the tl?

on mccallister I had to remove the TLs n44, post sheared, and the top bolt was rusty, arm still hurts
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
    chinaman isnt hard but with the wrong lines stuff can happen, all depends on the spotter driver connection there ...

who was your spotter? not the tl?

on mccallister I had to remove the TLs n44, post sheared, and the top bolt was rusty, arm still hurts
    Not my truck that did a gentle and slow flop, line was good , tyre just slipped sideways off the rock and the LR came to rest on the front bullbar and rear exo cage, minimal body damage, recovery was technical because of angle and position. recovery was well executed with 2 winches.

stuff can always happen, chinaman is not hard, just a continual series of obstacles, fun trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover Mack View Post
    Checked the obvious fuses, ended up removing the transfer case ratio motor, and engaging 4 high by turning spigot with vehicle in neutral (clockwise for high), did not initially replace the motor so the transfer case would slip into neutral. Reinstalled motor to hold spigot in place. Ran in low range for the rally (choose trails with few highway miles, used trials like Weston Pass as an alternative route back to Leadville, I left early for the Chinaman Gulch Trail head as i was limited to 45mph and did not want to hold up the group. Changed to high range for the drive home. I tried to replace the motor with a new one with no success, apparently may have to replace the ecu, which does not work on some older trucks
    I did check my "solution" and spoke with a friends Northern California LR shop and British car Services in LA while at the side of the freeway in case i had overlooked anything easy or obvious.
    Test book was not much help at the rally (more diagnostic ability on the 99 model and newer)
    tired grounding out the neutral selector switch pin 34 and pin 19 on the transfer case ecu with no luck.
    Impressive trail fix.
    1992 RRC
    1994 Toyota Pickup

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by ARMEDforBATTLE View Post
    Impressive trail fix.
    Thanks, would have been a lot easier with an 8mm ratchet wrench, not had time to carry out any additional diagnosis since driving back, i am thinking gear position selector switch or transmission/ transfer case ecu.
    The idea came to me after seeing several discos with a CDL installed but not the linkage. I found out the hard way about putting the motor back in or the transfer case would jump into neutral miles down the road.