Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roveron's National Rally Adventure

Roveron's National Rally Adventure

Hey All,

Well, just got back this morning and what a week. Wow, glad I went. Headed down Monday and Tuesday, got into Leadville early Tuesday. Setup camp and got registered. We took the RRC and my 2 kids joined me. All in all, we had an awesome time and met some really great folks.

Day 1,
    Chinaman Gulch.... Awesome trail. It was off and on rain which made it even more fun. Had a blast rolling around and the rig did really well. Made it past the last obstacle and somehow, my panhard bar got pinched and ended up snapping. Jumped into another truck "Rob" from AZ. Found a welder in town and had it ready to go that night. Kids weren't too thrilled, but what can you say.

Day 2,
    Fixed rig and came off trail. Haha, not much of a day, rode with Jeff of JC's Rover. Great guy. Got to see the last of Carnage Canyon run by the suk (I think, Shawna and ?) and a really cool Series truck. Rockware and PPR were there as well with their buggies.

Day 3,
    Rest day, went and did the self guided tour of the mines. Pretty cool. Kids enjoyed it. Vendor night was today. Both kids won some cool kid raffles, and I, won some awesome Roxstar sliders. My daughter won an ARB snatch block, she was like, "what is this thing." hehe.

Day 4,
    McAllister Gulch/Ptarmingan Pass,
    Again, awesome trail. Very scenic, but some great climbs and stream crossings. This day was perfect weather also, All week, it had rained and was cold, day 4 really turned into a gorgeous day. Views of Holy Cross peak, and the back side of Vail. Nice group and great leadership. Back down for the dinner and a couple more raffles.

Sunday, drive 15 hours home non-stop. I am still vibrating.

http://roveron.smugmug.com/gallery/9...09824201_qxzR9
    88 RRC
    2002 RR 4.6 HSE

_o_o_o_o_
    |0_______0|
    [(O====O)]
    |//|........|//|
    |\\|-0--- |\\|
    |//|`````|//|

nice array of rovers and beautiful countryside. sure couldn't miss your sexy-flexy either.

and speaking of Jeff of JC Rovers, he's the mechanic who worked on my 110 before i bought a couple months ago. he spent a good deal of time on the phone with me while going over the truck during a "pre-purchase inspection." great guy!
    1993 D110

Nothing beats watching a "dude" wrestle chairs while losing his battle with gravity.

I'm glad you had fun, great pics.
    ESTP

Great pics...

Great reminder for all of us to beef up the stock steering and/or carry spares!

I'm hoping to make it out there next year... seems like I have said that the last 3 years.
    1992 RRC
    1994 Toyota Pickup

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Nice pix! Looks like a good time. The Grey LR3 sure caught my eye. Looks like a RoboRover! Do you know who he is?

Quote Originally Posted by ARMEDforBATTLE View Post
    Great pics...

Great reminder for all of us to beef up the stock steering and/or carry spares!

I'm hoping to make it out there next year... seems like I have said that the last 3 years.
    Oh, believe me, the steering is beef and so is the panhard. Rouge rock somehow poked up inbetween the axle housing and the steering and bent the panhard. I'm thinking in the small little "boulder field" is when it happened. I noticed it bent further up the trail because my steering wheel is off...hmmm. Was hoping to make it down the trail. Oh well. All is good now, and it is beef. The welder gussetted the whole thing. Great guy, if you are every broke in the Leadville - Buena Vista area, give Eric a call. All the parts guys in town know who he is.

Gmookher, I just realized today that you are who you are. Haha.

Sasquatch: I don't know who that is. It was a pretty cool looking truck though.
    88 RRC
    2002 RR 4.6 HSE

_o_o_o_o_
    |0_______0|
    [(O====O)]
    |//|........|//|
    |\\|-0--- |\\|
    |//|`````|//|

Quote Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
    I'm glad you had fun, great pics.
    Good to meet you briefly in person, your recommendation regarding running Chinaman Gulch was appreciated. (see photos http://cid-96ed6c75634cb425.skydrive...tional%20Rally

That LR3 is from www.UrbanOffroad.Net and it was a great looking urban vehicle. They passes Spiker and I on our way home to LA outside of Richfield, UT. Nice Guys, too...
    2005 Java Black LR3
    K6JKB
    Every Day Is A Good Day Surfing, Some Are Just Better Than Others...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbiram View Post
    That LR3 is from www.UrbanOffroad.Net and it was a great looking urban vehicle. They passes Spiker and I on our way home to LA outside of Richfield, UT. Nice Guys, too...
    KM2's look good on the LR3 (from Roveron's gallery):
    LR3 related tips and misc info: http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/.
    Off road and family adventure photography: www.nwoods.smugmug.com

Great pics. It's a bummer you all were so close and doing trails I play on and I couldn't make it!!! Awsome shots.. sorry to hear about the carnage
    Aaron

"Life is to be lived.If you have to support yourself, you had bloddy well better find some way that is going to be interesting....And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself"
    -Katherine Hepburn