Thread: selector seals, leaks, and gear box question(s)

selector seals, leaks, and gear box question(s)

Ok guys ... I have gotten everything fixed so far w/ the truck with your infinite wisdom ... round 2

I'm now down to 2 leaks! and I'm assuming its the gear selector shaft seals (haven't had time to look) I did clean off the gear box to be able to trace the leak but thats my idea. I have searched but how would I go about replacing them exactly? I found out what to do but not how to do.

Also... below 40mph its all quiet and all is well.. but after that the gear box gets a little loud / gearish and vibrationish like the ujoints went bad and its vibrating some... I checked and they are all good.

One more thing the bell housing drain plug hole has black oil coming out sometimes. Got any ideas?? its definately not gear oil (color difference) or its gear oil mixed with something...

thanks in advance!!!

Also on the gear box... 1st and 2nd are REALLY short for me on the throws ( like a inch or two) ... 3rd & 4th are regular (4-5inches)... I assume this is normal?

Thanks guys a lot!

help

Selector shaft seals are going to leak no matter what you do. The seals are small square cut O-rings held by a flat plate. They are woefully inadequate for sealing. Mine started leaking within a week after replacement. If you do decide to replace them, you will need to pull the floor panels and the gear box tunnel cover. I think the top cover of the transmission has to come off and you will need to wiggle out the gear selector shafts (one at a timee) pull the shift fork off and slide a new seal on the shaft. Then, replace the shift fork, wiggle the shaft back into place and move to the next one. There are three and the gear box has to be shifted between gears to get each shaft out.

I am pretty sure that you have to do all that, but its been a while....

The seals are actually not symmetrical- read the book to make sure you put them in the
    right way.

Bell housing drain plug leak is engine oil coming from the rear main seal. Not much can be done other than pulling the gearbox or engine and changing the seal.
    Linus Tremaine
    KJ6AQK
    1965 88" Diesel
    1963 Mercedes 300se
    1975 Volvo C303

Thanks for the input...well if they leak after they are changed then theres no real point... I guess just top the fluids off every month

I was afraid it was the rear main seal

Selector Shaft Seal update:

I have taken off the plate that surrounds teh shafts (4 bolts) cleaned it out and got 3 o-rings cut them so I could fit them around the shafts... they were a pretty good fit. Anwyays I put the plate back on and cranked it down...

I drove to work today and no leak... not even anything around the drain plug. I will update you guys after I do more driving and see what happens.

Rear Main seal leak:
    I picked up a crap load of parts and stuff from a old rover dealer in Atlanta.. come to find out he was the biggest importer of rovers in the US a few years ago but had recently quit. I plugged him full of info and he said that I have a 5 bearing crank case engine which is the MOD -spec.. anyways. He said to get to bottles of STP (Stay Together Please) Oil Treatment also called "Engine Honey" and put in there. Well that has gotten the leak down to a small drop or two rather than a pint each time I drive it. This isn't a permanent fix but it does prolong having to take the trans out.