Thread: If you where to Tow a VW Jetta for 720miles

If you where to Tow a VW Jetta for 720miles

With a 4.2 RRC..

Will you prefer to use a Four wheel "Bead" trailer where the car is fully lifted for about $460dollars or prefer a "Tow dolly" where only the front two wheels are lifted and the rear ones are doing the spinning for $240...???

Yes I know the bed trailer is far heavier (I don't even know if the RRC can tow it) but I still find them less harmful to the little Jetta than the two wheel dollies..

What do you guys think, prefer, etc, even better to you know of a truck service that will transport the car from san francisco to salt lake city for a somehow similar amount..

thanks in advance

I'd go with the dolly. Own a jetta IV, so here is the reasoning. Front wheel drive. Auto or stick, front wheels off the ground is all that is required. This isn't a tow around the world behind an RV thing, it is a one time trip. Get the tires up, let off the parking brake and never look back....figure that is well under 4k to tow, will be easily over 4k with a bed trailer...
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    I'd go with the dolly. Own a jetta IV, so here is the reasoning. Front wheel drive. Auto or stick, front wheels off the ground is all that is required. This isn't a tow around the world behind an RV thing, it is a one time trip. Get the tires up, let off the parking brake and never look back....figure that is well under 4k to tow, will be easily over 4k with a bed trailer...
    Thanks Mike you have always been there for my stupid questions (well many other members too).

The Jetta is a stick shift (I don't see how that makes any difference can you explain me please)..

That was my same reasoning I just want to make sure I was not missing anything, is not like the car is broken down or a classic vehicle, we just don't have the time to take two trips and I need to ride my GS moto to salt lake..

Auto trans, from my experience, don't like to be towed in neutral like a stick shift does. But in the case of the Jetta, it is Front wheel drive, so once the front wheels are on the dolly, you are all set. I would just, as a security thing, always set the parknig brake on the Jetta overnight.....in case anything happened, the jetta won't roll. Of course, only if you fastidiously unset it prior to driving, otherwise don't bother.

But even when we drive our Jettas, the rear tires just trail along and keep the boot from bouncing on the tarmac. Extra 1000 miles, not a problem. for the Jetta, the rear will think the front is driving.....it wont care a bit....

SLC huh? Spent a nice week up there skiing....Chrisitian Book store next to Hooters? Been there....Temple Square...of course...My favorite thing? Brewvies...food, beer and movie for a great price.

At the airport, flying homw....on the front page of the SLTribune second chair back on the ski lift the morning we fly home? Priceless.... can't get a better souv. than that...

In the photo, El Wayno, his wife, Sudsyrover and astateofmike at Snowbird a day or two earlier...the pdf, second chair back it is astateofmike, sudsyrover, el wayno and his wife... sweet,...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fixed4.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by astateofmike; 06-14-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    Auto trans, from my experience, don't like to be towed in neutral like a stick shift does. But in the case of the Jetta, it is Front wheel drive, so once the front wheels are on the dolly, you are all set. I would just, as a security thing, always set the parknig brake on the Jetta overnight.....in case anything happened, the jetta won't roll. Of course, only if you fastidiously unset it prior to driving, otherwise don't bother.

But even when we drive our Jettas, the rear tires just trail along and keep the boot from bouncing on the tarmac. Extra 1000 miles, not a problem. for the Jetta, the rear will think the front is driving.....it wont care a bit....
    That makes perfect sense, thanks senor.

SLC huh? Spent a nice week up there skiing....Chrisitian Book store next to Hooters? Been there....Temple Square...of course...On the front page of the SLTribune second chair back on the ski lift the morning we fly home? Priceless....

My favorite thing? Brewvies...food, beer and movie for a great price.
    My soon to be MegaGeek wife got the work opportunity of the life time to run a advance research center at the University, so we decide to take it.

The way I see it, I can pretty much life anywhere but for sure I can not see my life with out her.

So far we have only spend about 8 days in SLC and except for the grumpy drivers (Plenty of them and not that great of drivers too) the people are super cordial with very little effect of the whole Mormon syndrome (well the architecture sucks since they try to fit 15 people on each little house) but we found a pretty good home with excellent sense of space, tons of work space for about 1/4 of the price that will cost to purchase in san francisco.

Well at least you have a place to stay if you are ever around.

1/4 the price of a house in SF? Heck, that's a little place on some land......the size of New Mexico.....

Sounds like you are already comfotrable with the dolly, my advice would have been the dolly too. Not going that far and the RRC has plenty of weight to stop the car without trailer breaks. When I had my Cherokee I usually used a trailer so I got the breaks to help stop the trailer since the jeep was so light. Yes we pushed our Jeep far beyond the limits, by the time I sold it the booster springs on the rear were even sagging.
    Currently roverless but will be looking for a new (to me) truck next summer. Not sure if another rover is in my near future or not.

1990 RRC (sadly sold for parts)