Thread: LR Trek 152 - The Mysterious Tower

LR Trek 152 - The Mysterious Tower

Land Rover Trek 152 Ė 3 June 2009 Ė Toyo Tire Test Continued
    Or: Jessup to North Island to No-name Canyon to Copper Queen to Hard to Find Mine back to Jessup down the Shortcut Canyon to the Secret Tower and Home. What is the Secret Tower? You wonder? Iíll tell you later on.

Iím up with the sun and underway at a about 6:50am. Iím headed out to the Jessup area to do a bit more Toyo Tire testing. Well, actually itís any excuse to get out in the dirt. After a week of spending a bunch of money on tires, cutting up the storm damaged trees, getting the computer repaired, painting house trim and mowing lawns; itís time for a break.

After a half hour getting to Jessup I turn off the highway and stop to air the new rubber down to about 26 pounds. Weíve had a lot of rain for the past week and the ground is wet. Weíll see if I need to go any lower. It all depends on what the terrain is like.

The muddy trail circling the quarry is pretty firm. It has a lot of sand in it but there are a few deep gullies due to the storm erosion. Not a big deal though. I turn off the main trail and head towards the columnar basalt butte that the UNR geologists refer to ďNorth IslandĒ The trail here is in a sandy gully. It no longer resembles a trail at all; now itís just an eroded sandy wash. When I get to the steep climb up to the ďislandĒ, it looks as loose as it ever was. Itís absolutely no problem. Is it the tires or the fact that the sandy gravel climb is damp and firmer?

I wander around the island and cut through the saddle in the center of it. Then I drop down a loose slope that is a piece of cake. Then itís on to the little mud playa on the far side of the island. The mud isnít a problem. In fact, the tires stay on top of the mud only penetrating about an inch. Northern Nevada mud is mostly sand and drains rapidly. The Toyo A/T Open Countryís are great. No need for Mud Terrains out here!

Once Iím down off the island, I head north-east following a power line service road. At a couple of ravine crossings the truck just grunts right on through; no 4ETC, no CDL, no problems. This is just too easy.

A couple miles along the power lines and I turn north-north-west up a nameless canyon that should bring me out into Copper Valley. Along the canyon I stop at some prospected areas and bust a few rocks with my geology hammer. Then itís on over the saddle where I spot a big beautiful antelope. Heís a beauty!

Once out of the canyon and a few miles south-west of Ragged Top, I turn south-south-east onto a trail that should take me to the Copper Queen Mines. There are a bunch of right angle wash crossings. None of them are a problem. At the Copper Queen I poke around and get some mine shaft photos.

Continuing south-south-east I stop at another mine shaft (un-named) and then continue on to the Hard to Find Mines. Itís more poking around and more pictures. Eventually, I head south-south-west towards North Jessup. The buildings there are almost gone now. It wonít be long before itís all gone except for the holes in the ground.

Once I get to Central Jessup, I decide to explore a few trails that I have never been on before. There are trails all over (most not on maps) going to mine shafts and adits. Central Jessup is primarily silver and gold. There are some modern-day prospectors still working the area, so there are always a few new trails.

I do a bit more roaming around, take a few more pictures and then head west towards the Gold Ore Claims. The goal isnít the claims, however, and I turn south down another un-named canyon heading towards the diatomite mines north of the highway.

About two miles down the canyon I can see some fresh excavation and some kind of large structures up a side canyon and in a bowl shaped valley about a mile to the west. I find a new road that heads that way.

When I get up into the bowl I find a lot of excavation and the parts for a tower that will be between 1000 and 1200 feet tall! It reminds me of the tower at our Loran Station in North Africa when I was in the Coast Guard. The biggest puzzle though is why have such a tall tower inside of a bowl surrounded by rimming peaks several hundred feet higher than the bottom of the bowl where the antenna base foundation is?

This whole thing was not here just a year ago. Iíll have to keep on top of it to find out what it is going to be.

After a bit I continue back down the canyon and get back to Fernley about 1:30.

Itís been another fun day. The tires are a huge success. I now have a new mystery to solve.
    Ron/Rocky - '04 Discovery S
    Usually found somewhere in Lyon, Pershing, Churchill, Lander, Humboldt Counties..

Photos

I went down the left side

That fat antelope

One of the Copper Queen shafts

Looking towards Ragged Top

A caved tunnel at Hard to Find

About as close to an action shot as one can do when alone - Stopped on 40% slope

North Jessup ruins

Central Jessup shaft

The bottom of the tower resting on top of its future foundation - Crane boom lying behind it.

Tower upper sections - - About 40 of them; each about 30 feet long - - I'll be back
    Ron/Rocky - '04 Discovery S
    Usually found somewhere in Lyon, Pershing, Churchill, Lander, Humboldt Counties..