Thread: Wading hole oil leak

Wading hole oil leak

This is an ongoing saga...after topping to the correct gearbox oil level (side plug fill / level type suffix B) it seems like i am now leaking quite a bit from the wading plug hole. It's definatly EP90 so that rules out the rear crank seal, the breathers are all clear and the box is not overfilled. The leak poors out after the engine has been driven for a while and then is parked. It seems lo loose whatever oil has been left in the withdrawl mechanism housing. I pulled the gearbox, replaced the operating fork oil seal and the withdrawl housing gasket. Unfortunatly non of this seems to have worked. So, is it possible that the withdrawl housing itelf has worn and the oils is leaking around the operating collar or through the bearing itself? Has anyone come accross this problem?? this one is killing me!! Thanks

Sounds like you've covered every thing. The only other thing I can think of to ask is this: you're not parking this on an steep downhill slope are you? Other than that, I'm stumped.

Unfortunatly not. The only thing left seems to be the housing iteslf. I do notice that there were machined recesses on the housing around the holes for the studs that potentially could seat a small o ring and there were non present however I do not see any on any of the exploded diagrams. Suppose I'll drop the box again and take another look.

leak

Use anerobic sealant on the release bearing assembly to bellhousing(ie front part of trans)
    1960, 88 ,vortec 350 ,np 435,........ADVANCE ADAPTERS SERIES T/C ADAPTER....."B" suffix series case,powersteering, 3.54's ,rd56's maxidrvie rear shafts,gb hd cvs,four wheel disc brakes.......oh yeah no straight panels and not much paint left.
    1987 range with springs
    1995 disco wifes car ,no touchie(unless it needs love)

So scrap the paper gasket completely? Also any brand recommendations?

gasket

Remove the paper gasket . The stuff is called permatex 518. Put some on the studs also.You will always get some out out of there if you do alot of offroading.
    Last edited by blue bomber; 05-12-2009 at 12:15 PM.
    1960, 88 ,vortec 350 ,np 435,........ADVANCE ADAPTERS SERIES T/C ADAPTER....."B" suffix series case,powersteering, 3.54's ,rd56's maxidrvie rear shafts,gb hd cvs,four wheel disc brakes.......oh yeah no straight panels and not much paint left.
    1987 range with springs

I'll give it a shot. Thanks

leak

did you fix it yet??
    1987 range with springs

Unfortunatly the spot in the yard where I do my maintenence was occupied with 2pallets of sod that my wife ordered. Surgury is scheduled for this weekend.

Well success at last thanks to Blue Bomber's suggestion of permatex 518, I am now only leaking the usual amount from the usual places.