Thread: Towing Advice

Towing Advice

received this by email and with the photos is worth a laugh or two. sorry if wrong forum.

What's that...? You don't have a big pickup to tow your 6,000 lb. gooseneck trailer.....fear not!!! A little careful, well thought out engineering can solve your problem...
    Class lll Hitch Install... (patent pending..)
    Wouldn't you love to see how the trip went...? Good chance he ended up doin' some unintended off roadin' somewhere. Check the 'hills' in the background. Howja like to meet this rig on a two-lane road....coming down the mountain in your direction...?

She's hitched up and r eady to roll!! Amazin' how the extra weight smoothes out the ride.
    Needed to air up the rear tires a bit ('bout 160 psi).

Added some super heavy-duty chain for extra support on the tailgate, (note the 'Heavy-Duty 'S' hooks to attach the chain) Also paid-up for some BIG Number 5/16 sheet metal screws to attach the Reese hitch frame to the tailgate (see 'em there? one on each side...) Likely two more through the carpet into the floor pan inside....
    Yep, probably overkill, but didn't want the possibility of having an axerdent.

Most of the time was spent on the front porch whittling down that MASSIVE solid pine 4x4 to fit precisely down into the hole in the ball mount receiver.
    Note also - The piece of 3/8' plywood on the underside of the tailgate to distribute the load more evenly and beef up that tailgate support.
    'A MAN CAN'T BE TOO SAFE'...!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image00126.jpg   image00215.jpg   image00310.jpg  

" ?"
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

That's good. A friend of mine was wanting to get a fifth wheel for retirement. I asked him what truck he was buying and he returned with, " Truck? I'm using my Camry for gas mileage!"
    Larry K, ASE
    Millstadt ,IL
    2011 LR4 HSE LUX
    Prev. owns: 87 RR Classic, 96 D1 4.0, 96 P38 4.6

Quote Originally Posted by maxyedor View Post
    I love that thread...I'm glad the world still has some creative minds.
    Sad part is, I probably got several ideas stored in the back of my mind from those pics that I will use one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    Towing a trailer is not as simple as some might think. On the other hand, it's not an overly difficult skill to learn either. The following tips can help to ensure that your towing experience is a positive and safe one, whatever your level of experience. Our first part will cover items to check and practice before heading out, and the second part will go into detailed tips on handling.Towing a trailer can consist of towing an RV, horse or livestock trailer, flat bed trailer or other utility-type trailer. No matter what kind of trailer you are towing, there are some steps and guidelines to follow to keep yourself and others safe along the way.
    search overload?
    -Blake

'98 Disco