Thread: Replace Intake Manifold 2002 freelander

Thumbs up Replace Intake Manifold 2002 freelander

I have a 2002 freelander with 42,181 miles. Fault codes:P0171 & P1472. my actuator 2 valve is stuck open and air intake tube is broken. Dealer wants $2,000.00. I would like to become self-reliant and make this baby last. Is this repair for mortal men(or women)?where to start?

Welcome to the forums. The repair should be straight forward. Others will chime in with more experience with the Freelander as I just know my Disco. Good luck with the repair; it should cost a lot less than 2 grand when you do it yourself.

--Justin
    '96 D1 300TDI 5spd Alpine White

--------------------------------
    DISCO SEAT FIX for a broken D1 front seat!!

--------------------------------
    "Jeeps may be famous, but Land Rovers are Legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    I have a 2002 freelander with 42,181 miles...........Dealer wants $2,000.00. I would like to become self-reliant and make this baby last. Is this repair for mortal men(or women)?where to start?
    I have just finished this repair myself.
    Do you have any specific questions that I can help you with?

I have this exact issue right now. The intake is a $1200 part & is sold as 1 piece. Cannot find any sources including rave showing the inside mechanisms but that is what is inoperative!

Did you replace the intake or open it up & service the valves?

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I have just finished this repair myself.
    Do you have any specific questions that I can help you with?

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_B View Post
    I have this exact issue right now. The intake is a $1200 part & is sold as 1 piece. Cannot find any sources including rave showing the inside mechanisms but that is what is inoperative!

Did you replace the intake or open it up & service the valves?
    Unfortunately it was a replacement of the entire part as it is not serviceable.

I had intended to cut-up the old part to learn about the mechanism inside, but I never got around to doing it.

After I got it running again, I sold the car immediately ...

As scrap.

I had intended to cut-up the old part to learn about the mechanism inside, but I never got around to doing it.

As scrap.
    Love the As scrap comment at the end.
    Tony - Cerrone's European LRRForums Store

1999 Disco II - aka Black Cobra - Daily Driver
    2006 Range Rover HSE aka Wife's Rig

I gave a full history of problems that I had with the Freelander and even though it was currently running well,
    I told the new buyer that I considered it a parts car only.

To call it a safe or reliable mode of transportation would have been stretching the truth too much for me.

Thank you for taking the time & posting up. Ive also had enough of this gaylander POS! Axle, Trans, VIS motor, coils, heater core, Heater/AC fan, brakes with rotors, fuel pump................ all in the past 2 months!

As scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_B View Post
    GAYLANDER

I went in the opposite direction for my replacement vehicle after I sold my Freelander. Probably over-compensating for it's delicate nature....

1 Ton Van w/ 7.4L V8 !

Good luck w/ your project.

-ward

The latest are the MAS sensor & #3 cylinder coil since i posted last!! misfire in #3 & #1 cylinders. checked plugs & coils. Pulled the MAS connector & #1 resumed firing! Replaced MAS sensor. #3 coil tested not working so i replaced that too. On what other car on this planet does an ignition coil & MAS sensor fail at the same time except this POS!! Parts & labor $ total for the past 3 months are about $4500 excluding the new coil & MAS & the butterflies in the intake are still fooked. Sold that worthless piece of shyte yesterday for $2600!! Could have got more but i just wanted that devil car away from me as quick as possible!

Found this when searching for OBDII codes!
    Lotsomoneylander Dog

I went in the opposite direction for my replacement vehicle after I sold my Freelander. Probably over-compensating for it's delicate nature....

1 Ton Van w/ 7.4L V8 !

Good luck w/ your project.

-ward