Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for you mountain bikers out there

My brother had the lowers on a Totem. The powdercoater can prep the frame the more you the more you can do to prep the less $$. I am with you Funrover about painting your own it is is kind of fun. I did the paint on my '92 carbon Cadex when I converted it to SS. The rims were the finishing touch. I just had a local autobody shop clearcoat it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss 015.jpg   sx 003.jpg   ss 002.jpg  

Refurnishing my old bike with spray paint

Last year I decided to give my old cyclo cross bike an overhauling. I wasn't willing to spend too much on refurnishing my old ride, so I decided to go to the local paint shop and buy some spray cans (bone white).

I disassembled my ride and cleaned it thoroughly first with sandpaper and after that with soap. After it had dried in the sun, I suspended the frames with two wires in my garage and started spraying. One coating wasn't enough, so I gave it two extra coatings with 3 days between each, so that it could dry properly.

I was actually quite pleased with the result, even though the paint had run some places, leaving small solidified drops of paint, which I carefully sanded away followed by a little spaying. Of course the result wasn't as good as if I had taken it to a professional powder coater, but it was fun and extremely inexpensive.

After about 5 months I was quite disappointed because the paint that I had used wasn't resistant enough to the harsh weather conditions in Denmark, so now it doesn't look so fine any longer :-( ... Well I'll probably give it another try next summer, but next time, I'm going to make sure that I get the right paint.

In the meantime, I've purchased a new city/trekking bike from the largest bicycle store in Denmark: Coop Nettorvet - Category: Cykler (which means bicycles in Danish). The bike was priced at 300 $ (US), which is about the same amount that I would have spent on a powder coating on my old bike, but it's still a brand new bike.

In spite of the low price, the bicycle is certified by European standards for quality and safety. It's got everything that's necessary for a practical bike, so it suits my needs perfectly. The only thing is, the frame has a horrible color: brown, so now I have two bikes I need to coat next summer :-)

Have the frame stripped, then just clear coat it. Looks great!
    Gary

NCLR002
    LRRF0016
    NCLR VP Web Admin
    1995 RRC County LWB
    1994 Defender 90 SW

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."