Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.8 Vortec in 62 Series II 109

4.8 Vortec in 62 Series II 109

Progress so far with the 62 109. The drive train is essentially in. Some manuvering to do with getting the AC hooked up and a few electrical things. Pictures here are the installed engine with the electronic fly-by-wire gas pedal that the Chevy Vortec uses installed. It has the pedal cut off and an actuator rod running behind the brake pedal to the original pedal. Instead of 65 HP this old pedal now has control over 285 HP. The drivetrain is a 4.8 Vortec V8 out of a 2006 Chevy Tahoe with it's associated Automatic gearbox. The Transfer case is an Orion HD from Advance Adaptors with a Land Cruiser brake drum on it. It has P38 Power steering and will have heat and AC from a Jaguar XJ6. The HD drivetrain installation was done by eventually Timm Cooper. I have all the doors off it for stripping and painting. The interior is already done but not installed. Electrical is next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00064.JPG   DSC00065.JPG   DSC00066.JPG  

Very nice...I don't remember, is this a for you project or will it be eventually looking for a new home?
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Very nice, how are you going to address the stopping part? Also, which diff / axle set up are you contemplating.

Brakes and Axles

These have factory installed Salisbury rear axles, which are unbreakable. Plus well maintained factory 109 brakes are good enough. It is still a 109 and will be driven like one, but it will pull up hills better, not go down them faster and need to brake harder. Same car, same brakes, just not a little engine thrashing up hills in lower and lower gears down to 10 mph. Now it is 60 mph down AND up the hills, and 22 to the gallon to boot.

the rear was the question as I thought your rig was pre Sailsbury. I'm currently on the look out for one for mine as my current 10 spline will not do for the evil plans ahead.

Looks like a great build. Although there's something just not right about seeing A/C mentioned in the same post as a series truck

You may want to think about going with hyrdoboost brakes. Since you already have a motor that could easily mount a power steering pump, it wouldn't be too much more work to add they hydroboost and plumb it in.

I have to laugh at your comment regarding Timm. I hope he is doing ok, haven't been able to get in touch with him in a while. He does do good work.
    Last edited by slorocco; 02-19-2009 at 05:19 AM.

Nice!
    Aaron

"Life is to be lived.If you have to support yourself, you had bloddy well better find some way that is going to be interesting....And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself"
    -Katherine Hepburn

Salisbury

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    the rear was the question as I thought your rig was pre Sailsbury. I'm currently on the look out for one for mine as my current 10 spline will not do for the evil plans ahead.
    I have a spare Salisbury for sale. It is off a 1993 NAS 110. It is $650. In Placerville.

Quote Originally Posted by Landiman View Post
    I have a spare Salisbury for sale.....
    Do you look back at the things you type sometimes and go, wow..... I guess it is like the sunroof less roofs....at first you can't find them, then you cant get rid of them....

Someday, I'll be able to make the above statement I hope....cause that will mean I have a lot more space to put things on!
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Thanks for the offer, i am in conversation with a seller local to me which would save a biggish shipping charge. One question, do the 110s have different gearing to the series? Cheers, Neil