Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Overland Journal Winch Test

Hey Roxtar, not sure what rig you are running but Safari Gard's LR3 bumper will take a husky 10 winch.

Thanks but I've got a love affair with RockStar Fabrication bumpers.
    Here's their Husky 10 style:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	17409

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	17410
    Bringing levels of internet suckage previously deemed unobtainable.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

www.roxtarfab.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Second; interesting comments on the syn line.
    I'm surprised that water would soak into it, though. Its a very tight weave and it isn't a water absorbing thread like cotton so I can't imagine how that would happen.
    I would also think spooling it tightly would go a long way toward mitigating this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtravrt View Post
    Now on to Amsteel synthetic winch line.....

I like, and I hate it. I am considering going back to steel. Why? Because it's damn near useless in the winter if you live anywhere really cold. Why? Because the synthetic line freezes. Yep. snow and ice build up on the spool, melts from the heat and soaks right into that line. I know it's synthetic, but I can't be the only one who's been stuck in winter and no matter how much I've pulled, I can't free spool that line out. Once it's frozen, the only way to free it, is to hook up to something and back up until the spool is near empty, then wind it back in. Try that when you're alone and already stuck....

Now I know some of you will say, don't wheel alone, but not everyone using a winch is strictly a recreational wheeler. Sometimes you just have to go, like in search and rescue, essential services work, etc. I have never had that problem with steel cable, so I am considering hauling out the brand new spool of it and tossing the amsteel or using it for line extensions. I've thought about carrying anti freeze, or remembering to spool out my line when things get dicey "before" I get stuck, but that's a PITA and it honestly doesn't take long for powder to melt and freeze up the spool again. Am I the only one who has experienced this? I know you can also use your hi-lift or something in a pinch to free the line, but in real cold, you want to be out of the vehicle for as short a time as possible. The hi-lift would take a long time as my experience is you have to pull the whole way, not just the first layer.
    I feel your pain xtravrt and know what you are talking about. Gents, we live in an area where it is so cold, snow doesn't melt, it is powder, and when it sticks to things outside, it actually freezes into this hardened powdered mass. Its the craziest thing I have ever seen. I am thinking that the steel, can get colder, seperating it from the frozen snow, while the rope, is the close to the same temp as the snow and almost freezies together. Following. We dealt with this a lot this last winter when we had record snowfall over 5 months. Thats right people, 1/2 year, we are covered in this frozen tundra. Why do you think I am moving to the beaches of NC. We carried diesel fuel just for this purpose to unfreeze our lines when we had to move them. (Work related junk) Might want to try that next season. Geez, in less than 2 months we'll be preparing for snow. I have to do that next weekend since I am leaving for FL/NC in 2 weeks, but the wife is staying to sell the house.
    88 RRC
    2002 RR 4.6 HSE

_o_o_o_o_
    |0_______0|
    [(O====O)]
    |//|........|//|
    |\\|-0--- |\\|
    |//|`````|//|

Quote Originally Posted by Roveron View Post
    We dealt with this a lot this last winter when we had record snowfall over 5 months. Thats right people, 1/2 year, we are covered in this frozen tundra. Why do you think I am moving to the beaches of NC. We carried diesel fuel just for this purpose to unfreeze our lines when we had to move them. (Work related junk) Might want to try that next season. Geez, in less than 2 months we'll be preparing for snow. I have to do that next weekend since I am leaving for FL/NC in 2 weeks, but the wife is staying to sell the house.
    I'm selling my house now, trying to move your way.

6 months of snow?
    Sounds like heaven to me.
    Wanna trade?
    Bringing levels of internet suckage previously deemed unobtainable.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

www.roxtarfab.com

Nice post...Greatly appreciated!!!

Whatever winch you guys use, remember the winch is no better then your battery/alternator and very few winches will pull at their full rating with out "2" good deep cycle batteries and a strong alternator, especially if you have spooled out 1/2 your line, most winches require 450 plus amps.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm