Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overland Journal Winch Test

Quote Originally Posted by michaels View Post
    true....i meant more as using amazon as a source for buying quality winches and saving money. i will NEVER skimp on anything in my truck. if i don't have the money, i'll wait and save.
    Fair enough ... we're on the same page, apologies if I came across as defensive or rude - didn't mean to.

1964 SIIA 109 | 1973 SIII 88 | 2000 Disco II

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

Quote Originally Posted by superpowerdave View Post
    Fair enough ... we're on the same page, apologies if I came across as defensive or rude - didn't mean to.
    it's cool. i misread part of the paragraph i quoted. i'm a dweb regular, so verbal abuse of any intensity doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by superpowerdave View Post
    A winch, for me, is a lot like car or health insurance ... when you need it you need it. You wouldn't buy health insurance from a guy who sold the exact same thing for half the price of everybody else would you? You'd know something was missing or the quality of care wasn't as good as the other guys. It's the same thing with winches.

But to each his own. Although if you were to ask around, I'd be willing to bet very few off-roaders would recommend buying a cheap-no-name winch. I would bet the Series truck that they'd tell you to save your pennies and buy quality (and no Mike, you don't get to disagree with me because you want the Series.)
    Good post... Pretty much how I feel about it. I do so much long-distance solo travel, every component in the system needs to perform as expected, and when needed.
    Scott Brady
    2007 Defender 110 TD5 | 1995 Discovery I, 5-speed | KTM 950 ADV
    Expeditions West
    Overland Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Just watched the video.
    I thought synthetic lines are supposed to have no recoil; IOW, the line just drops when something breaks.
    That is unfortunately not true. A synthetic line will still snap and recoil. Its saving grace is the reduction in weight, and the fact that a synthetic rope is not a cutting surface. A wire cable is often used to cut logs in sawmills. Wire cable has four to five times more weight.

I have witnessed about six rope breaks, most in the Outback Challenge, and all were violent and shot the rope at least to the anchor. This was the first time I had seen a rope go that far, and with a damper on it!
    Scott Brady
    Expeditions West
    Overland Journal

What brand rope were you using? I've seen a couple guys break Amsteel and it really does just drop.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by maxyedor View Post
    What brand rope were you using? I've seen a couple guys break Amsteel and it really does just drop.
    It was Amsteel, but under an incredible load. Synthetic is significantly more safe than steel cable, but must be treated with equal caution, including damping, gloves, eye protection, etc.
    Scott Brady
    Expeditions West
    Overland Journal

Quote Originally Posted by SAFARIGARD View Post
    Safari Gard is a Distributor for Super Winch. We are proud to offer the complete line of Super Winch. Please contact us with all inquiries, I would be more than happy to work with all to get every land rover owner into a Super Winch. Check out the new Rock 95 and the Bill Burke Signature series HUSKY 10.

What's your price on the Rock 95?
    Bringing levels of internet suckage previously deemed unobtainable.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

www.roxtarfab.com

There is a guy in AZLRO who was hit in the leg when a syn line broke. He said he was standing only a few feet from where it split. I was told everyone in the club runs AmSteel cable now.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

Quote Originally Posted by Disco2Guy View Post
    There is a guy in AZLRO who was hit in the leg when a syn line broke. He said he was standing only a few feet from where it split.
    Very bad habit.
    I've observed that a lot of people are getting in to bad winching habits because synthetic rope "isn't dangerous", which in and of itself isn't true. But, more importantly, not everyone uses it. Bad habits will carry over (that's why they are called habits) and increase the likelihood of injury.
    IMO synthetic rope needs to be treated with the same respect as wire rope. I know Scott and I are in the minority on that, but there it is.
    Last edited by antichrist; 02-04-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Rock 95

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    What's your price on the Rock 95?