Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overland Journal Winch Test

Dugkim I'd look real closely at buying an off-brand winch because of the cost. The thing about a winch is that when you need it, you need it! My advice would be to put a little money aside each week and buy the best you can afford.

Better to cry at the cash register than to cry when you have to hike to the road and leave your rig on the trail because your K-Mart special crapped out on you when you needed it to perform.

Just my two cents.

1964 SIIA 109 | 1973 SIII 88 | 2000 Disco II

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Would have been nice to see the new Ramsey worm drives tested. The RE series were fantastic winches and I haven't seen any reviews of their new DC-300 worm drive winch.
    In any case I look forward to seeing how my venerable 8274 model fared.

I have an old Off-Roader, or some such, from the 70's that did their winch tests in a test bed, tested until stall or cable break (or some other failure), whichever came first.
    I ran an RE series several years ago.
    The thing was a BEAST. Nothing, I mean nothing, stopped it.
    Only bad thing about it was the odd mounting (they were designed for tow trucks) required a lot of design work to come up with a bumper that worked well and looked good.
    It was the first tube bumper I ever built.

I now run a Husky 10 on my D1 and just pulled the 8274 off the buggy to go lighter (T-Max 6500 Competition Series)

Anyway, my guess is Husky wins in power, 8274 in line speed.
    Bringing levels of internet suckage previously deemed unobtainable.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

www.roxtarfab.com

Just watched the video.
    I thought synthetic lines are supposed to have no recoil; IOW, the line just drops when something breaks.
    Bringing levels of internet suckage previously deemed unobtainable.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

www.roxtarfab.com

So....

Quote Originally Posted by superpowerdave View Post
    Dugkim I'd look real closely at buying an off-brand winch because of the cost. The thing about a winch is that when you need it, you need it! My advice would be to put a little money aside each week and buy the best you can afford.

Better to cry at the cash register than to cry when you have to hike to the road and leave your rig on the trail because your K-Mart special crapped out on you when you needed it to perform.

Just my two cents.
    ...Are you saying it is WARN?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Anyway, my guess is Husky wins in power, 8274 in line speed.
    Unless there is something really new on the market, yes, 8274 is tops on line speed. And if that's not fast enough, there's a company in the UK that makes a dual motor mod to 8274's that I think more than doubles the no-load line speed. Apparently it's a popular winch with people in competitions.
    They even have a great company name Gigglepin 4x4
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Super Winch

Safari Gard is a Distributor for Super Winch. We are proud to offer the complete line of Super Winch. Please contact us with all inquiries, I would be more than happy to work with all to get every land rover owner into a Super Winch. Check out the new Rock 95 and the Bill Burke Signature series HUSKY 10.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/o...Dsmalllogo.jpg
    CEO
    Casey L Gray
    Phone (619) 300-4287
    Cell (619) 300-8164
    Email: sales@safarigard.com
    www.SAFARIGARD.com

SCLR #885

Land Rover
    Toyota
    Jeep
    Mercedes
    Ford

Quote Originally Posted by dugkim View Post
    ...Are you saying it is WARN?
    Not at all Dugkim. I have my preferences on brand, but they are simply my preferences. Warn makes a great winch, service and parts are available and they stand behind their reputation. I run a Warn and a MileMarker. My comments are directed toward the 'Gorrilla' suggestion in your post.

Let's just say I take my recovery gear very seriously because a lot is at stake when it gets pulled out of the trail box. I don't buy my straps at Wal-mart, don't pick up cheap shackles, and won't skimp on a winch either.

I'm just saying yes, you could buy something from Amazon and save two hundred bucks by buying something inferior and suspect, with no parts support or service availability. Or you could buy something a reputable off-road shop sells and recommends, and know you're taken care of.

Aside from that though, depending on the wheeling you do, a winch that performs when your situation demands it could be the difference between ... well when that scenario plays out you may very well wish you'd spent money on quality.

A winch, for me, is a lot like car or health insurance ... when you need it you need it. You wouldn't buy health insurance from a guy who sold the exact same thing for half the price of everybody else would you? You'd know something was missing or the quality of care wasn't as good as the other guys. It's the same thing with winches.

But to each his own. Although if you were to ask around, I'd be willing to bet very few off-roaders would recommend buying a cheap-no-name winch. I would bet the Series truck that they'd tell you to save your pennies and buy quality (and no Mike, you don't get to disagree with me because you want the Series.)
    Last edited by superpowerdave; 02-03-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

I'm just saying yes, you could buy something from Amazon and save two hundred bucks by buying something inferior and suspect, with no parts support or service availability. Or you could buy something a reputable off-road shop sells and recommends, and know you're taken care of.
    i bought my superwinch from amazon and saved two hundred bucks with the synth line.

amazon isn't all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by michaels View Post
    i bought my superwinch from amazon and saved two hundred bucks with the synth line.

amazon isn't all that bad.
    But you can find a Superwinch in any reputable off-road store can't you? I thought I mentioned that, maybe I didn't ... no, I'm pretty sure I did.

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

But you can find a Superwinch in any reputable off-road store can't you? I thought I mentioned that, maybe I didn't ... no, I'm pretty sure I did.
    true....i meant more as using amazon as a source for buying quality winches and saving money. i will NEVER skimp on anything in my truck. if i don't have the money, i'll wait and save.