Thread: broken screw extraction

broken screw extraction

Anyone know of a way to remove a broken screw? I snapped it off flush to the surface.. so a nice dremeled slit & screwdriver won't work. & I have had no luck with the extraction bit set I have. I need my backseat back in my rover. Any clever ideas?
    1998 D1
    ex 1992 RRC

a reverse drill bit might work.
    99 D1...

Ez out? There are two ways of doing it.

If you have some of the thread exposed there are a set of reverse sockets that fit over the head/shaft, and as you turn the ratchet - in the loosening direction, it bites on the thread/head/or part of the screw thats exposed and pulls it out. The other option is and ez out, that has a reverse thread. This involves drilling a hole in the screw/bolt, then inserting the reverse threaded bit, and as you loosen again, it bites into the middle of the bolt, and pulls it out.

Options depend on the amount of bolt/thread/thickness etc...
    for exposed threads - stripped bolt heads

http://www.brandsplace.com/0384-han3094001.html

For thicker bolts - drilling and extracting

http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html

These are just the idea....you can find this stuff at any hardware store thats worth 10cents.
    http://www.facebook.com/edthefanman
    Lets not aaargue about whoooo killed whooo!

Thanks, man. I'll give this another whirl tomorrow.
    1998 D1
    ex 1992 RRC

That happened to me also.I just used a self tapping next to the broken one.My seats are out most of the time but when I do have them in they are just about self supporting.Good luck with the screw

Quote Originally Posted by IamVince View Post
    That happened to me also.I just used a self tapping next to the broken one.My seats are out most of the time but when I do have them in they are just about self supporting.Good luck with the screw
    I am otherwise defeated.. I might just do that. I did notice that the screws do poke out from under the truck some.. I might be able to get them out from the bottom, otherwise it will have to be a self tapped job.. Thanks for the suggestions!
    1998 D1
    ex 1992 RRC

you need a drill bit called tungsten carbide you can get it at true value hardware and buy the extractor bit and handel. i've been through a lot of broken bolts and nothing else really works. you'll need to dril in the center down about 1/4 to 3/8 depending on the size of the bolt. if all else fails get a biger drill bit and make a new hole and thread it. good luck
    2003 Disco SE7, front quick disconnects, OME 779 & 763 lift springs, OME shocks N107's up front, Bilstein 7100 full body reservoir’s 10" for the rear, Hankook Mud Terrains LT265/75/16

I highly recommend using a left hand drill bit to drill the hole for an easy-out. Often just drilling the hole backs the screw/stud out. The act of drilling generates enough heat to cause it to come free and spin out.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.